Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

4nt 5.0 Registration key won't work

Feb
I have been using 4nt 5.0 for many years. It does what i need. So I've never had the need to upgrade.

Over the years, I've move it several times as i have upgraded and changed computers. Most recently, I got a new laptop in October with Windows 7 on it. I installed 4nt, ran my reg key, and everything was fine.

Then last week my harddrive crashed and I had to start over with a new harddrive. I installed 4nt as usual and ran the reg key as usual. But this time it keeps telling me I have the trial version. It does not list my name and serial number at the top of the command window when it opens.

I checked the registry, and the appropriate reg key entry with the long hash string key is at the proper location in the registry.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times. No change.

The only thing different from when it was working a week ago and not working now is a new harddrive. Same Win 7 (64bit) same everything else.

Any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks.

On 2010-02-05 07:25, JWM wrote:

> The only thing different from when it was working a week ago and not working now is a new harddrive. Same Win 7 (64bit) same everything else.

Since this is Windows 7, are you sure you are elevated when you import the registry key?

On 2010-02-05 07:25, JWM wrote:

Since this is Windows 7, are you sure you are elevated when you import the registry key?

I've tried it both by running RegEdit and doing an import as well as by renaming the key to .reg and running it. In both casese, it asks me if I want to approve running, etc.

When I open the registry with regedit, the key is there. Is it possible for keys to be in the registry that are not 'approved'? Still learning the Win7 stuff.

If there's a particular incantation I need to be saying to get the key in, just tell me the precise steps, and I'll take a shot.

Thanks.

> Since this is Windows 7, are you sure you are elevated when you import
> the registry key?
> ---End Quote---
> I've tried it both by running RegEdit and doing an import as well as by
> renaming the key to .reg and running it. In both casese, it asks me if
> I want to approve running, etc.
>
> When I open the registry with regedit, the key is there. Is it
> possible for keys to be in the registry that are not 'approved'? Still
> learning the Win7 stuff.

4NT 5 tries to use the HKLM registry tree for registration, which is not
allowed under Windows 7 (or Vista). (Windows will cache the key in another
location and then discard it.)

You *might* be able to convince Win 7 to accept it by right-clicking on
regedit, and selecting "Run as administrator", and then loading the key
manually, or by starting 4NT or CMD the same way and running the .reg file
from the command line. (Simply logging in as an administrator will not
work, as Windows 7 will not give even administrators full registry write
privileges.)

The current version 11.0 of Take Command / TCC (4NT) is the only one we
officially support on Windows 7. It saves its key to a different location
that works for all user types.

Rex Conn
JP Software

Thanks, Rex,

When I run RegEdit, the key is there in the correct HKLM location. Is it 'there' but not really 'there' because I didn't Run As Admin? Strange.

But the good news is that I went to the 4nt icon and did a Run As Admin, then ran regedit from there and imported the key. It worked.

But from an external point of view, nothing has changed in the registry. The key was there before. It's there now. Obviously somehow the registry is now flagging entries that weren't entered as admin. But it still leaves them there and visible with no indication that it's "illegit"... (????)

Not the first time I've been burned by something similar. If you copy an INI file to the Windows directory, it shows up just like any other file. But if you don't run-as-admin to do the copy, programs won't see the file.

I don't mind the additional security in Win7. But I would like to have an indicator of files (and now reg entries) that appear to be there, but aren't...) </editorial comment...>

Thanks for the help.

JWM

Whoo
Thanks man
I was in exactly the same fix, coming from a working 4nt 500 on W7x32 to W7x64 which wouldn't register
I tried your fix and shazam

Many thanks :)))

Thanks, Rex,

When I run RegEdit, the key is there in the correct HKLM location. Is it 'there' but not really 'there' because I didn't Run As Admin? Strange.

But the good news is that I went to the 4nt icon and did a Run As Admin, then ran regedit from there and imported the key. It worked.

But from an external point of view, nothing has changed in the registry. The key was there before. It's there now. Obviously somehow the registry is now flagging entries that weren't entered as admin. But it still leaves them there and visible with no indication that it's "illegit"... (????)

Not the first time I've been burned by something similar. If you copy an INI file to the Windows directory, it shows up just like any other file. But if you don't run-as-admin to do the copy, programs won't see the file.

I don't mind the additional security in Win7. But I would like to have an indicator of files (and now reg entries) that appear to be there, but aren't...)

Thanks for the help.

JWM