Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

64 bit Win7 quirks

Aug
I'm new to this 64 bit stuff. I understand that TCC is not a 64 bit application, but am puzzled.

I wanted to find the ip address for my notebook; I connected via file sharing and wanted to use vnc to add a share ... my ipscanner doesn't work properly. nbtstat results in

TCC: Unknown command "nbtstat"

now I'm getting MORE puzzled ... I THINK I ran cmd from the "search programs and files" to a similar result, then had it work when I drilled down the "All Programs" tree ... now works with both. Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Is there any reliable source of information on how 64 bit Win7 manages things in System32 vs sysWOW64 which seems to be a part of the problem?

Thanks all if you can point me in the correct direction. A double thanks if you can tell me how to get these things to work in TCC.

George

Is there any reliable source of information on how 64 bit Win7 manages things in System32 vs sysWOW64 which seems to be a part of the problem?
It is very confusing the first time you're exposed to this.

On a x64 system, System32 actually contains 64-bit executables. The SysWOW64 folder contains 32-bit equivalents for many (but not all) files in System32. As you noticed, nbtstat.exe is an example of a utility that has no 32-bit counterpart in SysWOW64.

When a 32-bit program tries to access the System32 folder, Windows will silently redirect it to SysWOW64. This is why you can't run nbtstat.exe from a 32-bit command processor. ...UNLESS file system redirection is turned off.

Fortunately, Take Command has the ability to turn off file system redirection. Type OPTION and uncheck the "Win64 File System Redirection" option and you will be able to run nbtstat.exe from a 32-bit Take Command process without issue.

BTW, there is also Registry redirection: 32-bit apps may be silently redirected and read data from a different area of the Registry. Check out HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node.

This stuff seems messy but once you understand what's going on it's not too bad.

This stuff seems messy but once you understand what's going on it's not too bad.
Your information resolved that issue ... thanks! Give me my CP/M back <g>.

I skipped Vista ... Win7 and I don't get along. I want to see hidden and system files and file extensions EXCEPT on my desktop ... apparently impossible without aftermarket utilities. I want folders to maintian the position, size, sort order and "template" I used when I last closed them. Even better, all would DEFAULT to the details view until I change them.

I want to figure out how to use my text editor to edit the hosts file.

These are just a few of my annoyances.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM, gbynum <> wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by Rod Savard)---
> This stuff seems messy but once you understand what's going on it's not too bad.
> ---End Quote---
> Your information resolved that issue ... thanks! *Give me my CP/M back <g>.
>
> I skipped Vista ... Win7 and I don't get along. *I want to see hidden and system files and file extensions EXCEPT on my desktop ... apparently impossible without aftermarket utilities. *I want folders to maintian the position, size, sort order and "template" I used when I last closed them. *Even better, all would DEFAULT to the details view until I change them.
>
> I want to figure out how to use my text editor to edit the hosts file.

> These are just a few of my annoyances.

While it doesn't directly address your concerns, you may be interested
in Classic Shell:
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

It's an open source package that adds back the classic Start Menu and
other features folks were used to from XP. I made my SO quite happy
by installing it on her 64bit laptop running Win7 Home.
______
Dennis

Run it as administrator.
<embarrassed>I actually knew that, but ... more embarrassed ... don't understand HOW to do it. I read the "run as administrator" in help, etc, but when I right click on the shortcut (pinned to taskbar) all I get is to execute it or to unpin it.

If I navigate to it in Program Files, I can run as admin, but even as admin it doesn't see hosts. With hidden and system files visible, there is no etc in Windows\System32 ... but if I search for etc, it finds it, if I search for hosts it finds it ... but right click doesn't give me open with () as administrator. DARN MICROSOFT protecting me from myself. (Oh, I looked in sysWOW64 too ... but ASS_U_ME that hosts would be applicable to 64 bit apps as well as 32 bit ones)

What I want ... OUCH ... LUDDITE ... is XP back ...

This is off-topic; sorry. I used 4DOS for so long that I just plain respect the knowledge of people who use Rex Conn's works. I'd like a command line that works. I want to open TCCLE, navigate where I want to go, key in <editorname> then the file and be able to edit the darn thing ... warn me, ok ... but GIVE ME THE FUNCTIONALITY. When I show hidden and system files, the desktop has 2 "desktop.ini" files (of course ini doesn't show because I don't view them because if I do every registered file on my desktop has its extension visible). And WHY isn't etc listed under drivers even with hidden and system display on?

DARN MICROSOFT

<embarrassed>(Oh, I looked in sysWOW64 too ... but ASS_U_ME that hosts would be applicable to 64 bit apps as well as 32 bit ones)<editorname>
There is only one hosts file. It's a text file so there doesn't need to be a "32-bit" version of it. It sounds like you are using a 32-bit editor so it won't "see" the etc directory because it will be redirected to SysWOW64 (which doesn't have that folder). Use Notepad instead for this file. It's 64-bit.

And yes, because of UAC you will need to run Notepad "as administrator" (even if you are an administrator) in order to actually be able to save the changes.

The 32-bit / 64-bit quirk is necessary to support backward compatibility, and isn't really new with Windows 7. All 64-bit versions of Windows (even back to XP) had this "feature."

UAC isn't new with Windows 7 either. Vista had it. Some people turn it off, but in my opinion you are better leaving it at the default setting and getting used to it. It's not so bad and enables some other nice features (like VirtualStore redirection).
</editorname></embarrassed>

<embarrassed>when I right click on the shortcut (pinned to taskbar) all I get is to execute it or to unpin it.

Hit Shift and when right clicking to get the menu you're used to seeing.

Along those same lines, hitting Shift</embarrassed> when right clicking something in a normal Explorer window<embarrassed> gives you a few more options, like "Open command window here" and "Open in new process" when right clicking a directory.</embarrassed><embarrassed><editorname>
</editorname></embarrassed>

You can turn UAC off. I know people say it is best not to. But, if it is annoying you, turn it off. (I have it off.)

The full version of TC/TCC has a 64 bit version.

If you turn UAC off and get the 64 bit version of TCC, you will probably feel more like XP.

Back