Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

%_TCAdmin misbehaviour?

May
For me, "%_Admin" is always "1" whether I'm in an administrative TCC (title bar reads "Administrator: TC13.04 - ...") instance or not. However, I'd really like to know, in a batch file, whether a given TCC session is running in administrative mode or not. Do I not understand something? If "Yes", how do I find out if the current TCC instance is running in administrative mode from a batch file?

For me, "%_Admin" is always "1" whether I'm in an administrative TCC (title bar reads "Administrator: TC13.04 - ...") instance or not. However, I'd really like to know, in a batch file, whether a given TCC session is running in administrative mode or not. Do I not understand something? If "Yes", how do I find out if the current TCC instance is running in administrative mode from a batch file?

_ELEVATED

Slightly ambiguous question and response, methinks. %_admin being zero does not mean that you are unable to elevate. Are there any contexts in TCC/TCMD where being in admin mode but not elevated allows you to do anything to become elevated other than issuing a START /ELEVATED (which you can do whether or not you're logged in as admin, you just have to respond to a (different) UAC prompt)?? I ask mostly out of curiousity as these days I've gotten used to running in pure user mode and only elevating when absolutely necessary.

%_admin being zero does not mean that you are unable to elevate.
Perhaps it is more correct to say %_admin is 1 if you are an administrator and can therefor elevate with your current credentials. If 0, you can still elevate but you must enter another user's credentials (who is a local admin).

Just as an aside because some people may find it useful, it's possible to "resurrect" the true "ADMINISTRATOR" account in Windows 7 (and probably Vista, also). And in the ADMINISTRATOR account in Windows 7, at least, both %_Admin and %_Elevated always return 1 (maybe the ultimate source of my confusion in the matter). However, I don't really use it very often because with the facilities provided by TCC (thank you, Rex) and Windows itself ("Run as Administrator") I don't really need it very often (if at all, now) and due to my incompetence due to both my bad memory and my semi-blindness I'd rather not be in Administrative mode all of the time (although I do keep an "Elevated" TCC session open at all times for convenience and try to avoid using it unless I really need it). But both TCC and Windows together have pretty much eliminated the need for the true Administrator account and I really don't strongly recommend "reawakening" it. (Rather than telling everybody how to do it here, I'll just say that doing an appropriate Google search, which is how I found out how to do it, will "dig up" the information if you really want to do it. There might not really be any interest in doing it, anyway.)

I'll note, just as an aside, that there a few things that Windows 7 won't allow a user to do (I can't tell you exactly what any more, bad memory; although I tend to believe that it's things that Windows Update can do but users can't), even in "elevated" mode. However, I think that that was a good idea because I never ran across (general incompetence ;)) anything like this that I really wanted/needed to do.

- Dan

Back