Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

_winver shows 6.1 on windows 7

There are at least two ways to get more friendly descriptions of the Windows version.
Code:
v:\> echo %@WMI[. "SELECT Caption,CSDVersion from Win32_OperatingSystem"]
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Service Pack 1

v:\> echo %@regquery["HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName"]
Windows 7 Professional

v:\> echo %@regquery["HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CSDVersion"]
Service Pack 1

Takecommand21.pdf says in at least two places that _winver works for WIndows 7. Interestingly the ver command says windows 7 and windows version 6.1

As Vince mentioned above:
According to Microsoft Windows 7 **IS** version 6.1 (and Windows 8 is version 6.3).

To back that up, if you click Start, then type winver into the search field and hit Enter, that Windows utility (winver.exe) reports the same thing. 6.1 is the true underlying version of Windows 7. Even CMD reports 6.1 for its "ver" command.

Everything is working as it should.

You know I didn't care about what it reported before but this is from the v21 documentation on both _WINVER, and the VER command:

Updated Internal Variables:
_WINVER - Now returns the actual Windows version for Windows 7 / 8 / 10 instead of the Windows default API results (i.e., "10.0" instead of "6.3").

VER
Now returns the actual Windows version for Windows 7 / 8 / 10 instead of the Windows default API results (i.e., "10.0" instead of "6.3").

This is what _winver 21 reports on Windows7. It seems correct for Windows 10. I haven't tried it on Widows 8 as I am not a tester for Take Command. The ver command seems to use the results in _winver on both systems again not per the What's New in Version 21 documentation.

C:\howard\working>echo %_winver

I had hoped to believe JPSOFT documentation and not have to rely on Microsoft.

Last edited by a moderator: