Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A linter utility for TCMD.INI

Nov
It would be nice to add a utility that reads a given TCMD.INI file and writes a new one, where:

- All directives are written in their canonical format.
- All directives are grouped into categories, and presented always in the same order.
- Obsolete entries are removed (or commented out, with the reason for it).
- Directives with the default value are removed (or commented out, marking this fact).
- Optionally, ALL extant directives are written, with the default values for those that were not present on the source file.

Contrariwise, I have to wonder why we still have an .INI file. I've been expecting Rex to ditch the .INI and move everything into the registry for the past, oh, five or six releases.

I hope not! I hate the registry and would rather have TCMD fully ignore it.

(and now Rex must somehow find a proper compromise...)
I too would like to keep the ini file and not use the registry.
I can print the text file, compare two files, and so on.
Here are some comments of mine.

- Obsolete entries are removed (or commented out, with the reason for it).
Please do not remove them, comment them out with a comment for the reason.
I add that You might add a comment for deprecated entries, so that they are kept alive, but with a warning.

- Directives with the default value are removed (or commented out, marking this fact).
Please do not remove them, maybe comment them but do not comment them out.
I might want to have a setting that is the same as a default, but I want to be sure that even if Rex changes the default I keep my setting.

- Optionally, ALL extant directives are written, with the default values for those that were not present on the source file.
Really really optionally, I do not like to have an ini file with many lines that are not necessary.

Thank You very much and regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

I too would like to keep the ini file and not use the registry.

In fact, it will be neither. I have it on good authority that the next version of Take Command will discontinue the .INI file, registry use, TCSTART and TCEXIT, all of that. For reasons of permanence, performance and portability, all settings will henceforth be kept in a Microsoft Jet database acessed via the Azure cloud service. It will also ease troubleshooting. Rex won't have to ask you to email .INI files or .GPF dumps. He'll already have them.

In fact, it will be neither. I have it on good authority that the next version of Take Command will discontinue the .INI file, registry use, TCSTART and TCEXIT, all of that. For reasons of permanence, performance and portability, all settings will henceforth be kept in a Microsoft Jet database acessed via the Azure cloud service. It will also ease troubleshooting. Rex won't have to ask you to email .INI files or .GPF dumps. He'll already have them.

Take Cloud, the replacement of Take Command, is going to rule the sky, indeed.

The things people say on April 1st.

Joe