Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Accessing No-Drive Letter Resources

May
Hello all,

Certain resources that I plug into my computer via USB don't map drive letters. My Android phone and cameras are an example. They show up in explorer, but there is no drive letter attached.

This is a bit hard to explain if you're not familar with this, so I've attached a small screen capture. The SGH-I777 is my phone. There is no letter attached and I don't know how to access it via Take Command.

I'd like to write batch files to transfer pictures or backup the phone. I'm sure there is an easy way that I'm missing, but I"m at a loss and thought I would ask the experts.

I have attempted to assign a drive letter, but it remains unaccessable stating "No Media."

TCC 13.01.29 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
TCC Build 29 Windows 7 Build 7601 Service Pack 1

Thank you,

Michael

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    11.5 KB · Views: 265
Explorer Shell Namespace Extensions do not have to correspond to a file system. They can display data that is stored in a database or accessed via a local or remote procedure call interface. In order for these extended namespaces to be available at the command line Take Command (or an extension) would need to support manipulation of IShellFolder classes.

There should be a way to put your phone into USB Mass Storage (as on my Droid X) mode, which makes it show up as a regular drive. There are different ways of doing this depending on the device. On mine, I pull down on the Notification Bar and tap "USB connection" with a USB symbol next to it to choose between PC Mode, Windows Media Sync, USB Mass Storage, or Charge Only. Once I choose a connection mode, it stays that way until I change it. But I've seen other devices that make you choose every time you connect it. You just have to figure out how your device works.

There should be a way to put your phone into USB Mass Storage (as on my Droid X) mode, which makes it show up as a regular drive. There are different ways of doing this depending on the device. On mine, I pull down on the Notification Bar and tap "USB connection" with a USB symbol next to it to choose between PC Mode, Windows Media Sync, USB Mass Storage, or Charge Only. Once I choose a connection mode, it stays that way until I change it. But I've seen other devices that make you choose every time you connect it. You just have to figure out how your device works.

Perfect! I had no idea about this. Thank you very much. I now have drive letter mappings for both the phone and SD card.

Now to put a bit of time writing a script! Thanks again.

Michael

Perfect! I had no idea about this. Thank you very much. I now have drive letter mappings for both the phone and SD card.

Now to put a bit of time writing a script! Thanks again.

I'm glad you got your phone working. :) You're welcome!

Btw, I forgot to mention that I've seen cameras that kind of work the same way. Somewhere in the setup, usually having to do with USB, may be a way to select how it appears to the computer that you plug it into.