1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

accidental ampersand

Discussion in 'T&T - Miscellaneous' started by Roedy, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Roedy

lets say I am trying to type: batch1.btm & batch2.btm
    but instead I accidentally type: batch1.btm &

My computer goes berserk. opening and closing windows like mad. I can't stop it.

1. Why is this happening?
    2. what is the best way to halt?

2. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Code:
    batch1.btm &
    is just a synonym for
    Code:
    detach batch1.btm
    DETACH should report the PID for the new process when it creates it; you can feed that PID to TASKEND to kill it.

3. vefatica

I suspect the windows are those of transient instances of TCC, probably from pipes, or of instances of external programs. "TASKEND /F %_DETACHPID" (or do it manually from TaskMgr) should get rid of most or all of things.

But there's something I don't understand, namely piping in a detached instance. If I DETACH this BTM,
    Code:
    v:\> type abcd.btm
    echo foo | grep foo
    a console window for GREP.EXE opens and doesn't close. What's going on there?

4. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

GREP.EXE is an external app, and gets its own console window. There isn't any way to tell Windows that you want child pipe processes to be detached. (Nor can I imagine a situation where you would want to do this -- certainly nobody's brought it up in the last 15 years.)

5. vefatica

The window doesn't surprise me. It's the fact that it doesn't close. Does the detached TCC produce standard output that should go to GREP?