Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Add option to turn on file name case sensitivity

Jul
Would be useful to be able to perform file name operations with case sensitivity enabled. For example, ren "TOP*.txt" to "T10*.txt" which would not affect "top*.txt" files. This could also be used with the (?i) and (?-i) switches in regular expression patterns for file operations, which today are defunct for these matters.

I would appreciate such an option on a global level for all file operations and not just per operation. i.e. set the default mode to On for file/dir name case sensitive, on an INI or SETDOS basis.

Cheers,
Gilad

Gilaz, fyi the separate "feedback" forum is where suggestions for future versions are voted for. Click on the vertical "feedback" text on the left side of this forum page...

AFAIK in NTFS filenames are not case sensitive. FiLe.Dat and fIlE.dAT are the same. Although there are ways to change this behavior ...

AFAIK in NTFS filenames are not case sensitive. FiLe.Dat and fIlE.dAT are the same. Although there are ways to change this behavior ...
The technical term for NTFS is "case retentive", i.e., it retains the case, but file search and selection is case insensitive. However, TCMD and TCC are also used for accessing case sensitive file systems, such as JPsoft's own FTP site. Any website as well as any system to which your system is connected by LAN or WAN may be case sensitive. In particular, the POSIX file system is case sensitive, and is implemented by any system using Unix, Linux, BSD, GNU, MAC, etc. As an example, try to access any file at the JPsoft website with mismatching capitalization... Or consider using TCMD / TCC on one of those systems under a Windows emulator.

What would case sensitivity imply? That's a longer discussion, which should go into the FEEDBACK forum (oh-oh, miscapitalized?) once the OP submits the suggestion there.

Posted into the Feedback forum.
Indeed REN supports changing the case in the target name, but not in matching the source name. Thousands of lines - wow! Obviously my reasons don't worth that amount of turmoil.

The technical term for NTFS is "case retentive", i.e., it retains the case, but file search and selection is case insensitive. However, TCMD and TCC are also used for accessing case sensitive file systems, such as JPsoft's own FTP site. Any website as well as any system to which your system is connected by LAN or WAN may be case sensitive. In particular, the POSIX file system is case sensitive, and is implemented by any system using Unix, Linux, BSD, GNU, MAC, etc. As an example, try to access any file at the JPsoft website with mismatching capitalization... Or consider using TCMD / TCC on one of those systems under a Windows emulator.

What would case sensitivity imply? That's a longer discussion, which should go into the FEEDBACK forum (oh-oh, miscapitalized?) once the OP submits the suggestion there.
Sorry, this was a hasty reaction. NTFS is case-sensitive, but the default behavior of Windows is not.