Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Add the ability to control syntax coloring via an environment variable or some other way

Aug
I change the color scheme of most of my command prompt windows based on the project/function so it's easy to tell which window is for what. However, this also means that the foreground and background colors can be different on each window, so I wouldn't be able to set a global color scheme for syntax highlighting.

It would be nice if there were some way to be able to set it on a per-window base via an environment variable or via the SETDOS command.

I don't know if this will help. There are directives in the 4nt section of TCMD.INI. For example,
Code:
SyntaxColors=Yes
SCCommand=Bright Cyan on Black
SC...
I don't know all the names. You can manipulate them with the OPTION command (perhaps used in aliases or BTMs).

It looks like I could use the '//' syntax with the OPTION command to temporarily set them for each of my console windows. It would take several lines, but be doable.

The other thing that would be nice would be to use a color number (e.g., 0f) instead of the name (bright white on black) since if you change the palette, the color names don't make sense any more.

I change the color scheme of most of my command prompt windows based on the project/function so it's easy to tell which window is for what. However, this also means that the foreground and background colors can be different on each window, so I wouldn't be able to set a global color scheme for syntax highlighting.

It would be nice if there were some way to be able to set it on a per-window base via an environment variable or via the SETDOS command.
If I understand this request correctly, you should be able to set the syntax coloring for each of your TCC windows by starting each with a customized tcmd.ini file. ie. "c:\program files\jpsoft\tcmd17\tcc.exe" @c:\jpsoft\tcmdX.ini

Using Vinces' suggestion to set different values for the SC... directives in each unique version of tcmdX.ini or use
OPTION @filename to temporarily modify these directives, which could be used in your tcstart.btm. This would require multiple tcstart.btm's. Untested.

IMHO, A cleaner technique would be to research all of the SC.. directive names or simply rename your current tcmd.ini to say tcmd1.ini, then under TCMD change the various OPTIONS->TCC->Windows->Command Input Syntax Coloring . Then save this modified tcmd.ini and rename. Repeat as needed.

This technique would be made easier by a suggestion that there be a method to save-as in the Options window, in addition to the present OK button, thus automating the above renaming step.

The user would still have to track the multiple .ini files and add the appropriate TCC.EXE @c:\jpsoft\tcmdX.ini startup option. This technique would be usable with both TCMD and standalone TCC.