All my old TCMDs start slowly

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
TCMD 16 takes a second (or a little less) to start. That's roughly what I'm accustomed to going back to v11. But now all versions prior to 16 take 4-5 seconds to start. This behavior is pretty new. I'm sure v15 was starting quickly a week ago.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
I've been at this for two days. All my previous versions of TCMD still start very slowly (4-5 sec.). They did not always behave that way. Nothing seems to change it (no INI file ... no reg key ... I tried plenty of things). Does anyone else experience this ... have any ideas?

May 20, 2008
Elkridge, MD, USA
Even just plain TCC (and 4NT) versions can be slow. I use a small batch file with a command like jpr 14 to start v14 with all the version-appropriate bells and whistles, and I observed several second long starts, but not kept track of which vs. how long.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
Even just plain TCC (and 4NT) versions can be slow. I use a small batch file with a command like jpr 14 to start v14 with all the version-appropriate bells and whistles, and I observed several second long starts, but not kept track of which vs. how long.
All my TCC's are downright fast, well under 1/10 second to start. With my slow TCMDs (all but v16) the TCC (for my one default tab) doesn't start until the end of the 4-5 second start-up time.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
After the upgrade to build 41, all my old TCMD.EXEs start up normally, that is, as fast as the used to. Rex, do you have any idea why they were starting slowly and is there anything you might have done that affected that (caused it in the first place, and corrected it)? I've done nothing significant ... haven't even rebooted since the day this thread began.

May 30, 2008
Have you tried checking with Process Monitor (or similar tool) while the slow TCMD is starting?

That should show where the delay comes from.

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
After the upgrade to build 41, all my old TCMD.EXEs start up normally, that is, as fast as the used to. Rex, do you have any idea why they were starting slowly and is there anything you might have done that affected that (caused it in the first place, and corrected it)? I've done nothing significant ... haven't even rebooted since the day this thread began.

I have no idea why they were starting slowly. Nothing in build 41 would have affected the startup speed.

May 20, 2008
Syracuse, NY, USA
Have you tried checking with Process Monitor (or similar tool) while the slow TCMD is starting?

That should show where the delay comes from.
Darn! I have ProcessMonitor and forgot all about it ... didn't even remember what it did. It would be nice to know why that happened. I guess I'll just hope it happens again.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Dmitry L. Kobyakov How to? How to remove the record of the old version of the Take Command? Support 9
C old .vs. new system Support 0
gentzel "Check for Updates" appears to be checking for old version Support 2
Charles Dye Old download links on JPSoft.com home page Support 0
Dmitry L. Kobyakov From old version: had the setup's error been corrected? Support 6
C Any reason to keep old versions? Support 8
vefatica WAD IFTP - old problem still there Support 2
SB-Robert Old 4NT Won't Register - Options? Support 8
L How to copy an old xp drive to a large ntfs drive Support 6
M "Reawakening" of an old issue with _complete_ documentation... Support 39
M “Reawakeng" of an old issue with the "copy" command that I'm not sure I've ever reported in the past Support 6
Kachupp old version 4nt v8 Support 0
Kachupp old version 4nt v8 Support 0
L A little startup help from an old CLI guy please. Support 14
A Help | Check for updates "old news" Support 13
M Ansi.sys and old Dos programs Support 7
BobK New to TCC, Why does it use my old 4NT files? Support 3
J Take command does not start on Windows 10 Support 3
N for start /b anamoly Support 1
U Can not get/start Take Command gui Support 1
DrusTheAxe START /? is incomplete Support 2
S How to? Runs start /w in invisible mode OR run program after exit of another one Support 3
vefatica Start/stop screensaver from TCC? Support 12
S START with title Support 4
vefatica START at 0,0? Support 2
D START /POS versus @WINPOS and @WINSIZE Support 12
vefatica START /elevated and PcaSvc? Support 5
S incorrect message at start Cancel batch job 4START.bat ? (Y/N/A) : Support 1
vefatica START /PGM "name with spaces.URL" fails Support 2
L Peculiarities of how START launches processes Support 15
R How to? START program as top window? Support 2
Peter Murschall v24 IDE/BDEBUGGER won't start Support 9
Dmitry L. Kobyakov WAD Start /pgm "name.htm" works improperly Support 4
Joe Caverly START Dialog usage of %_ variables Support 0
A Fixed [23.0.22]: TCMD crashes shortly after start, TCC keeps running in background Support 6
kb6ojs Want to start TCMD v20 with every Windows 10 bootup Support 3
vefatica START *command Support 5
Per TCC/LE 14 64-bit won't start on Windows 10 Insider Preview 17063 (171213) Support 12
A Fixed (CMD compat) START /D fails to recognize the switch option. Support 3
MikeBaas start /runas - I'd like /netonly Support 2
vefatica Start VIEW with the toolbar showing? Support 5
vefatica Documentation START /AFFINITY Support 0
B how to do in "start" command thing like in tcc.exe Support 1
J directory or folder to start in Support 2
R How to? Not have RT version show on start Support 3
D WAD START /ELEVATED "Title" /PGM "job.btm" Support 6
J How to? Start TCMD with different configurations Support 3
vefatica START /K ... Support 1
vefatica Documentation START /AFFINITY Support 5
vefatica Start TCMD with File Explorer showing? Support 2