Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Always get shortcut in Start Menu folder

Jun
I uncheck all the check boxes on the "Configure Shortcuts" page of the installation, but I still get a shortcut in the Start Menu folder. It would be nice if there was a way to not get this.

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:27:51 -0500, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote---
|> I uncheck all the check boxes on the "Configure Shortcuts" page of the installation, but I still get a shortcut in the Start Menu folder. It would be nice if there was a way to not get this.
|---End Quote---
|This is a Windows Installer bug; I reported it (a long time ago) but
|haven't gotten a fix from Microsoft.

I've installed quite a bit on my new computer saying no to that question
whenever I had a chance. TCMD is the only one that put a shortcut on my start
menu (i.e., above the start menu's separator). If you could have it not even
ask that question that'd be fine with me. A more appropriate place is somewhere
in "Programs" anyway.

--
- Vince

On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 22:37:21 -0500, vefatica <> wrote:

|I've installed quite a bit on my new computer saying no to that question
|whenever I had a chance. TCMD is the only one that put a shortcut on my start
|menu (i.e., above the start menu's separator). If you could have it not even
|ask that question that'd be fine with me. A more appropriate place is somewhere
|in "Programs" anyway.

P.S. I use the classic start menu. Won't newer start menu schemes automatically
keep it handy if it's frequently used?
--
- Vince

And after many installs, I have an empty TCMDLE folder in Programs and no folder for the full-blown TCMD in programs. Both keep reappearing on the start menu (above the separator) and I keep deleting them.

Actually I don't think this is a bug per se. The installer simply does not offer the option to not create the icon at the top of the Start Menu. The only Start Menu shortcut option is the one that creates it Start Menu/Programs list.

Unchecking that one does suppress the creation of the shortcut in the Programs list, but when doing a clean install it will still create an empty folder. I delete this folder and it is not recreated on subsequent upgrades.

It doesn't seem right that it's a Microsoft bug. Like Vince, I haven't experienced this on any other programs and almost everything uses InstallShield. I think it's an installer bug.

And after many installs, I have an empty TCMDLE folder in Programs and no folder for the full-blown TCMD in programs. Both keep reappearing on the start menu (above the separator) and I keep deleting them.

Put the appropriate DEL and RD in your TCSTART.BTM, and they'll never bother you again....