1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An oddity that's a little bit scary...

Discussion in 'Support' started by mathewsdw, Jul 20, 2014.

1. mathewsdw

As I usually do an unmodified partial log of a TCC session:
    Code:
     Directory of  X:\Obsolete Music Files\z*

7/20/2014  1:30  0  zia10224
      0 bytes in 1 file and 0 dirs
     1,407,083,044,864 bytes free

[X:\Obsolete Music Files]del zia10224
    Deleting X:\Obsolete Music Files\zia10224
      1 file deleted  1,182,859,264 bytes freed

Presumably the question is obvious. How can deleting a file whose length is zero free 1,182,859,264 bytes bytes (more than a gigabyte!)?

2. thedave

If I recall correctly, it doesn't actually keep track of the space freed, but rather, it does a comparison against the free space at the start and end of the operation. This leaves plenty of room for oddities.

3. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

You've got something else running in the background. As Dave said, DEL does a "before and after" comparison. Your disk space might go down, stay the same, or even go up.

4. mfarah

Quick question: should the "before and after" behavior be the proper one (... at least for single file deletion)? After all, it's not like the system can't tell exactly how many sectors a certain file occupied.

5. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

TCC used to do that -- and I got hundreds of complaints from people who said that DEL told them they freed memory when they didn't (because Windows was deleting to the recycle bin or similar third-party app). The current solution was deemed the least confusing and apt to generate "bug" reports.

6. mathewsdw

Thank you guys and I believe you. But it is a little bit strange that something of that magnitude can happen in the time it takes to do a delete of a single zero-length file!

7. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

Not really -- there's usually an enormous amount of activity going on in the background. Text indexing, incremental backups, temp file cleanups, disk optimization, journaling, etc.