1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

attribute "P"?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rodolfo, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Rodolfo

I downloaded four executable files from an internet site (roxio, if it is important). If I try to run them, I get an error, I believe it is a windows protection system. I should be able to check files properties and see an unblock button. But this button is missing. Anyway, if I use internal attrib command, I see two attributes that seem to be set, the classic "A" and the unknown (to me) "P" (protected?). This happens with tcmd 9.02 registered and with tcc/le 10 and tcc/le 11 beta. Is it possible to set and to remove the "P" attribute with tcmd 9.02 and/or with the latest tcc/le? If not, can You consider it as an addition to wishlist?

Thank You very much

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

2. Charles Dye

Charles Dye Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Re: attribute "P"?

If I'm not mistaken, that P indicates a "sparse" file. I don't think an executable should be sparse; I'll bet those files are simply corrupt. Try downloading them again.

(Internet file blocking is done via an additional data stream, not attributes. I don't recall the stream name, but DIR /: should reveal it if it's there. It probably isn't, since Explorer doesn't show the relevant button.)

3. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

The 'P' attribute indicates a "sparse" file, and cannot be changed by
    ATTRIB. (Windows limitation; it can only be specified when the file is
    created.)

TCC has no control over whether a file can be executed; that's handled by
    Windows. You should be able to open an explorer window and right click on
    the files to enable them.

Rex Conn
    JP Software