BEEP in Win7

May 20, 2008
11,424
99
Syracuse, NY, USA
In Win7, good ol' BEEPs are played by the speakers. Can I go back to the hardware beep? If not, how do I control the volume of BEEP?
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,365
150
> In Win7, good ol' BEEPs are played by the speakers. Can I go
> back to the hardware beep? If not, how do I control the
> volume of BEEP?

Gaahhh -- why in the world would you want the hardware beep? (Which you
can't control *at all*!)

You can change the volume the same way you change the volume for everything
else -- right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and adjust it as
you please.

Rex
 
May 20, 2008
11,424
99
Syracuse, NY, USA
Gaahhh -- why in the world would you want the hardware beep? (Which you
can't control *at all*!)

You can change the volume the same way you change the volume for everything
else -- right click on the speaker icon in the system tray and adjust it as
you please.

But it's way louder than the system sounds. A rough estimate is "50" louder on SndVol's 0-100 scale
 
May 20, 2008
11,424
99
Syracuse, NY, USA
On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 18:16:20 -0400, Charles Dye <> wrote:

|Is this x64 Windows?
|

No. It's 32-bit Win7 professional.
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,365
150
> But it's way louder than the system sounds. A rough estimate is "50"
> louder on SndVol's 0-100 scale

You didn't say what version of Windows 7 you're using. If it's x64, then
no, there is absolutely no way you can use the hardware beep, ever. X64
Windows does not support the hardware speaker.

If you're talking about the TCC internal BEEP command, the x64 version of
TCC uses Direct Sound to make beeps. You cannot change the volume -- I had
tweaked the DS code so the volume comes out (on my systems) at the same
level as the other system sounds. You may need to go to the control panel
and (depending on your hardware/speakers) adjust the levels there.

Anybody else out there hearing overly-loud BEEPs with Windows x64?

Rex Conn
JP Software
 

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
4,469
88
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
My mistake. I thought it was only 64-bit Windows that did that, but I see now that you're right. Beep() uses the sound hardware in Windows 7 x86, too.

(Do modern PCs even have the little piezo speaker wired up to a (virtual) 8253 anymore?)
 
May 20, 2008
11,424
99
Syracuse, NY, USA
On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 20:14:42 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|If you're talking about the TCC internal BEEP command, the x64 version of
|TCC uses Direct Sound to make beeps. You cannot change the volume -- I had
|tweaked the DS code so the volume comes out (on my systems) at the same
|level as the other system sounds. You may need to go to the control panel
|and (depending on your hardware/speakers) adjust the levels there.
|
|Anybody else out there hearing overly-loud BEEPs with Windows x64?

I'm talking about the 32-bit version of Windows7SP1.
 
Jun 7, 2008
101
5
On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM, Charles Dye <> wrote:

> My mistake. *I thought it was only 64-bit Windows that did that, but I see now that you're right. *Beep() uses the sound hardware in Windows 7 x86, too.
>
> (Do modern PCs even have the little piezo speaker wired up to a (virtual) 8253 anymore?)

I don't think current desktops do. Speaking personally, I prefer
machines that don't speak unless spoken to, and turn that sort of
noise *off* if at all possible. A visual signal is just fine, thank
you.,


> Charles Dye
______
Dennis
 

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
12,365
150
> ---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
> But it's way louder than the system sounds. A rough estimate is "50"
louder

> on SndVol's 0-100 scale
> ---End Quote---
> It's 32-bit Win7. Is there a solution to this problem?

In 32-bit Windows, TCC just calls the Windows Beep API, so only Microsoft
knows why it's louder for you.

Rex Conn
JP Software
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M Why did BEEP just quit working? Support 12
vefatica BEEP - weird on two machines Support 8
T Disable audible beep on input and inkey Support 2
gschizas Dead keys cause beep to sound Support 5
Stefano Piccardi how to get error message instead of beep? Support 5
vefatica Beep not working Support 1
D Beep in v13 Support 3
D Can error beep use a sound? Support 1
C dead keys beep in TCC Support 2
S How to? Deinstalling TC/reinstating execution of bat files by cmd in Win7 Support 31
C Del /W999 2gbFile.ext / latest build / Win7 x64 / MSE / Everything Support 5
w_krieger Installer 20.0.21 on Win7 Support 19
C How to? Read Win7's Computer Libraries Support 19
D V19 fails to install on Win7-64bit, installer says: Support 2
vefatica Alt-Enter in Win7? Support 9
C SafeChars x64 plugin under Win7 x64 Support 2
C Win7 Program Data.... Support 2
C How to? work with Win7 Libraries Support 5
samintz Can't install 15.01.54 on Win7 x64 Support 6
S WAD Cannot access mapped drive in 64b Win7 Support 15
F How to install 64-bit after having installed 32-bit on Win7 Support 2
F No ide.exe or tcmd.exe files - Win7 64bit Support 5
vefatica Win7, FTP, TCC Support 1
vefatica A win7 trick Support 29
vefatica Had to reinstall Win7 ... Support 8
vefatica CLS /C slow on Win7 Support 7
vefatica SHORTCUT behavior (Win7) Support 3
vefatica OT:Explain Win7's "start menu" folder? Support 17
vefatica Win7 and sound Support 0
vefatica TCMD crash in Win7 Support 7
J TC12 Win7 console, running gawk scripts Support 0
samintz Win7 Installer Q? Support 2
mscheuner TakeCommand no longer showing its icon in Win7 Taskbar Support 12
mscheuner Background color not "sticking" in TCMD v11 x64 on Win7 Support 3
mscheuner Configuration dialogs in TCMD 11 look horrible on Win7 Support 14
Fross Win7 x64 Dialog Size Issue Support 3
J BUG: MSGBOX after DETACH returns early with 0 on Win7 Support 3

Similar threads