Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bracket problem

May
I have some text in a file from an external source that I want to process that contains open and close square brackets, which I really don't want to remove from the file contents (one solution to the problem, but a bad :( solution in my opinion). I've been unable so far to find a way to process this text "as is", and Mr. Dye's plugin doesn't handle square brackets, either. Is the there a solution to this problem outside of writing the program in another language?

> -----Original Message-----
> I have some text in a file from an external source that I want to process that contains open and
> close square brackets, which I really don't want to remove from the file contents (one solution to
> the problem, but a *bad :(* solution in my opinion). I've been unable so far to find a way to
> process this text "as is", and Mr. Dye's plugin doesn't handle square brackets, either. Is the
> there a solution to this problem outside of writing the program in another language?

setdos /x-7
do the work
setdos /x0

its in the help manual

Should it? It would be trivial to add, if there's a need.

Charles, it might be a good idea to add it if it's trivial, but, again, I no longer have a need for it because I wrote a C++ program to handle the situation, and it's general enough that I could probably use it for similar situations, if any, in the future. But if it's trivial in nature and you want to do it, why not??? It may help someone else (if not me) in the future...

And Rex, I get the impression that the command processor iteratively(?)/recursively(?) processes the command lines passed to it (only in batch files?) until there are no more changes - and I assume that's to handle such things as variables that contain variables, for instance (although I'm not sure without thinking about it more deeply than I care to at the moment how one would even do that). Is that what's going on here and why is that going on if that's the case? This is the first (of many!) languages that I've used that did not have a clear-cut distinction between program code and data (although most other languages do not allow you to build and immediately execute code - and I have had that need from time to time, but not often).

And Rex, I get the impression that the command processor iteratively(?)/recursively(?) processes the command lines passed to it (only in batch files?) until there are no more changes - and I assume that's to handle such things as variables that contain variables, for instance (although I'm not sure without thinking about it more deeply than I care to at the moment how one would even do that). Is that what's going on here and why is that going on if that's the case?

No, it doesn't.

The command processor parses each line only once (though if you have nested variables they will be resolved).

The help file has details on exactly how the line is parsed (see "Command Parsing").