Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brain Dead?

OK Vince:

[c:\]dir /a: /s /f c:\tcmd.ini
C:\ProgramData\JP Software\Take Command x64 18.0\TCMD.INI
C:\Users\All Users\JP Software\Take Command x64 18.0\TCMD.INI
C:\Windows.old\Users\All Users\JP Software\Take Command x64 18.0\TCMD.INI

[c:\]

In TCMD:

[c:\]echo %_ininame

In TCC:

[C:\]echo %_ininame

Please post an image of your custom colors (as in my previous post).

With TCMDv18/32 on Win7/32, I see a difference.

1524165525560.png

They look OK. Try my recent experiment in TCMD.

First, get some vertical scroll bars in the tab (do DIR, or something that makes it scroll). Then give the commands
Code:
cls /s bri whi on blu
cls /s bri whi on bri blu

Now scroll back a few lines to see if there's a difference (as in my recent post).

I will, but I thought it interesting that I issued a command

net use o: https://d.docs.live.net/0D0CE3E008CF73CA /user:[email protected] **PASSWORD MASKED **

In order to map OneDrive to O:. I did this in a shortcut. Guess what? The CMD window was bright blue! But, if I just open a cmd window it is dark blue. (I have the colors etc. set through the cmd icon).

Anyway, off to do your latest instructs...

If you start TCC from a shortcut, you'll get whatever properties are set in the shortcut. If TCC is started in (and by) TCMD you'll get the default console properties and whatever is in the 4NT/TCC section of the INI file. So, maybe, while you have shortcuts configured correctly, the Windows console defaults are not configured as you'd like them.

So start TCC from Explorer (navigate to it and double-click the EXE, don't use a shortcut). Adjust its properties (system icon, upper-left). I think the system menu also has "Defaults" and I think that's for all consoles (though I never tried it). Possibly, if you set dark blue background there, you'll get it in every console app without specifically doing it in a shortcut.

If I start TCC from \explorer, the colors etc. are all as they should be. That makes sense since they are right from the shortcut as well. But if I start TCMD from explorer, it has the same bright blue background even though in the properties it is a dark blue showing as having been selected.

In Explorer (c:\program files...) navigate to TCC.EXE. Right-click on the program name (tcc.exe) and choose properties. Are they as you wish?

And what are your default console properties.

I'm not suggesting you regedit. But here's how Windows remembers settings. There are the default console settings, shown below, settable from a console ... system menu\defaults. Beyond that, if you change the defaults for any EXE or shortcut, Windows remembers them separately (and EXEs separately from shortcuts). All can be done from the console's properties dialog. Here's my collection of console settings (defaults are shown in the right pane). Every subkey of "Console" has its own collection of settings
1524172499652.png

Vince you sort of left me in the dust here. When I right-click on TCC and choose properties I see nothing relating to color. Am I missing something here? Also, I ported over my "old" settings for TCMD from my system backup where TCMD had been correct, and it made no difference to the new install.

Vince should I totally uninstall TCMD and then re-install? Will I be able to register the re-install? Maybe at least then I'd know I was dealing with all defaults.

Vince should I totally uninstall TCMD and then re-install? Will I be able to register the re-install? Maybe at least then I'd know I was dealing with all defaults.
No, that won't help. Windows will still remember console properties and it won't erase your configuration files.

When you detach TCC from a tab with a BRI BLU background, what's the background of the console ... BLU or BRI BLU?

From the start\run dialog, give the command "NETSH". What colors are in the console? Give NETSH the command "exit" to quit it.

Vince you sort of left me in the dust here. When I right-click on TCC and choose properties I see nothing relating to color. Am I missing something here? Also, I ported over my "old" settings for TCMD from my system backup where TCMD had been correct, and it made no difference to the new install.
That was my mistake. Start TCC.EXE with a 2-click in explorer ... then choose "Properties" from the system menu of the console.

BR BLU. And yes, they are as they should be. TCC seems always to be as it should be. Now, TCMD...
Is that a detached TCC? But you said BR BLU is wrong!

What about NETSH (started from Explorer or Start\Run?

If by detached you mean right-click on a tab and pick "Detach..." , Then yes. The netsh is bright white on bright blue.

If by detached you mean right-click on a tab and pick "Detach..." , Then yes. The netsh is bright white on bright blue.
So, when TCMD starts TCC, the console gets a BRI BLU background.

In TCC, what does this command produce?
Code:
echo %@regquery[HKCU\Console\ScreenColors]

In hex, that's 1F. That's 1 = background = dark blue, F = foreground = bright white ... just what you want. It doesn't make sense to me.

Did you get rid of the custom palette entries in TCMD.INI?

Do you have a TCSTART.BTM file in TCC/TCMD's home directory? If so, could it be messing with colors?

Is there a shortcut to TCC in the TCC/TCMD home directory? If so, try getting rid of it.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

In c:\ is

@echo off
cls
c:
Cd \
rem unalias dd
alias /r c:\alias.txt
set colordir=dirs:bright cyan;rdonly:bright yellow;system:bright green
cls /c bri whi on blu

but that's it.

This happened once before...I'd have to look back to where I came to the board for help. It Charles (?) I think, that found it then, but it was some tweak he came up with or found...I can't recall Vince.

And no, it isn't what I want, 'cause when I load TCC alone, it is bri whi in dark blu, but TCMD is bri white on bright blue

I'm losing track a bit here, but, my TCC shortcut gives me bri white on dark blue, but my TCMD shortcut gives me bright white on bright blue.
I had asked that you run these in a TCMD tab after getting some scroll bars.
Code:
cls /s bri whi on blu
cls /s bri whi on bri blu

If that's what you did, then you already had BRI WHI ON BLU when you ran the DIR command.

Vince I'd have to track back, but right now, TCMD opens with bri whi on bri blu, and TCC opens with bright white on (dark) blue.

Okay, now....
Look at the difference color choices I have in TCC depending on whether I use the "Defaults" choices, or the "Properties" choices.

I wish someone could explain to me how this works -- or is supposed to work.

Chuck

Attachments

• Defaults.jpg
    Defaults.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 166
  • Properties.jpg
    Properties.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 159
Good grief, so now "they" have redesigned the palette?! So now, dark blue isn't dark blue any longer? Good grief! Well, it certainly looks like it is "permanent", and also, it appears that I am in the definite minority as to liking the "old" pallet better -- I won't say better, \necessarily, but I do think that in TCMD's case, the darker blue was easier to read. Strange that TCC doesn't completely go along with the change. Since it took 20 years to decide to make this change it might take another twenty before it is totally finished, which by then I'll be too old to know or care, probably!

Also, whoever thought or thinks that this new color system is clearer and easier on the eyes is looking at something totally different than I am!

Thanks for the info however, Vince.

Attachments

• NuColor.jpg
    NuColor.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Back