Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brain Dead?

There is a "Legacy console" setting in the console's properties.

No it seems more feature oriented. Besides, the CMD colors are fine (at least for now), as are the TCC colors. It's only the TCMD that is screwed -- um, I mean modernized.

I've lost track of what the actual problem it. Take Command's "dark blue" is not dark enough? But still slightly different from light blue?

Here's a comparison between the legacy colors (on the left) and the new Win 10 colors (on the right). As for my bright green prompt and bright yellow input, I prefer the brighter ones (legacy colors) but I have to admit the newer colors make the characters sharper.

1524278680294.png

@Charlws - remember back a couple three weeks ago I was having color issues, and then (you were adjusting something I suppose) and then all my colors went "right"? Well, they're doing it again and evidently they are supposed to be changing. I just don't like them.

Particularly the blues are not right -- for me at least. I often use(d) a dark blue screen. Well, \that doesn't really work with the new colors.

I just wish they gave the user the choice. Maybe down the road they'll add a way to have more choice/control. Not now as yet, though. I suppose I can just change over to a white screen/black letters, or a black screen with, something. They used to have ways to "create" and assign custom\ colors and then save the various settings. That would even work, but...

OK, now I have another question: I find I can go through the specific program shortcuts that I want different -- say cmd.exe, and set the colors just how I want them. But then how do I save these settings? Are they all in the registry? Because if so, I would only want the color settings so that it wouldn't overwrite program settings and that were placed after the color settings were put in place.

OK, now I KNOW I am going daft: I went back to check, and the TCMD shortcut, for example, is now just as I want it. I set the colors and now they are just as I want them -- but I cannot get back to where I changed those settings! For the TCMD, for instance, I St the background to 0,0,128 -- but where!!?? I JUST did it...

Oh my...

I don't know what you did either. But there may be a straightforward way to have all consoles go back to the old (pre-Win10) colors. I can get a much better picture of your set-up if you'd do the following.

Start REGEDIT. Select the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console. Right-click HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console and choose "Export". Save the file as Win10colors.reg. Open that file with NOTEPAD. Among the first few lines (the "Console" key) what do you see? The Win10 colors look like this (below). I'm curious if that's what your's says. Attach that file to a post (there's nothing sensitive in it) so I can see how your console shortcuts are set up. More ideas later.
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console]
"ColorTable00"=dword:000c0c0c
"ColorTable01"=dword:00da3700
"ColorTable02"=dword:000ea113
"ColorTable03"=dword:00dd963a
"ColorTable04"=dword:001f0fc5
"ColorTable05"=dword:00981788
"ColorTable06"=dword:00009cc1
"ColorTable07"=dword:00cccccc
"ColorTable08"=dword:00767676
"ColorTable09"=dword:00ff783b
"ColorTable10"=dword:000cc616
"ColorTable11"=dword:00d6d661
"ColorTable12"=dword:005648e7
"ColorTable13"=dword:009e00b4
"ColorTable14"=dword:00a5f1f9
"ColorTable15"=dword:00f2f2f2

@Charlws - remember back a couple three weeks ago I was having color issues, and then (you were adjusting something I suppose) and then all my colors went "right"? Well, they're doing it again and evidently they are supposed to be changing. I just don't like them.
I'm still confused. I had thought that your issue was only in Take Command, not in standalone consoles?
If you want to darken up Take Command's idea of "blue", you could try:
Code:
echo %@iniwrite["%_ininame",TabColors,TabColor01,0x600000]
and restart Take Command. To make bright blue lighter:
Code:
echo %@iniwrite["%_ininame",TabColors,TabColor09,0xff6060]
and restart.

Note for future reference: These are in Microsoft's COLORREF format, BBGGRR. Not the RRGGBB format used by everyone else on the planet. To convert RRGGBB to COLORREF, swap the first and third bytes.

I'm still confused. I had thought that your issue was only in Take Command, not in standalone consoles?
If you want to darken up Take Command's idea of "blue", you could try:

There's something funny going on. Right now, HKCU\Console has the Win 10 colors; that's the only place they are mentioned. A customized console shows BLU = 0,0,128 and that's what BRI WHI ON BLU gives me.
1524334693366.png

TCMD shows me the same color, with the same RGB, but actually gives me the Win10 version of the color.
1524334812992.png

As expected, a non-customized console shows me (and gives me) the Win 10 colors.
1524335097696.png

CW, attached is the file you posted with the Win 10 console colors changed to the old (Win 7) ones. If you want to try it, make sure you still have a copy of the one you posted in case you want to go back. Rename it to remove the ".TXT" and double-click on CWBILLOW.REG. You'll get a UAC prompt and a warning about importing to the registry.

Attachments

• cwbillow.reg.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 213
Vince I'm unclear as to one thing: I've run win-10 now for what, a year? And it's only been in the last "upgrade" (just before the one that installed today) that the problem started. Does that mean that until that change Win-10 WAS running Win-7 colors?

And, after today's (auto) update, "my" colors seem to be holding. Shouldn't they have been "updated" again to the "new" Win-10 colors?

Vince I'm unclear as to one thing: I've run win-10 now for what, a year? And it's only been in the last "upgrade" (just before the one that installed today) that the problem started. Does that mean that until that change Win-10 WAS running Win-7 colors?

And, after today's (auto) update, "my" colors seem to be holding. Shouldn't they have been "updated" again to the "new" Win-10 colors?
I think the new colors are newer than Win 10 itself and have been updated a few times. Isn't it the Win 10 colors that you don't like? And aren't you jumping through hoops to get TCC and TCMD as you like them?

I think the new colors are newer than Win 10 itself and have been updated a few times. Isn't it the Win 10 colors that you don't like? And aren't you jumping through hoops to get TCC and TCMD as you like them?
P.S., Are they not different from those in the .REG file you posted? (Look at HKCU\Console.)

Yes, Win-10 colors left on their own are the "new" colors -- the ones that ()at least for me on my laptop) are harder to read, not easier.But these colors only came into being in the last update or so -- the last couple weeks I'd say.

I was able by luck to get them to where I wanted them -- those are the ones I sent you last. So then, my two questions are:

1) Are these in fact (near) Windows 7 colors, even though they have been working for me (Windows 10) from the early beta, and it is only of late that now Windows is installing "Windows 10 colors?"

2) Once I get them how I want them (pretty much now) how can I "protect" myself against any new palette installs or changes? Is it "simply" the reg entry I sent you that I need to keep hold of that will revert back after any new color "improvements"?

And then...

Here is the (only) tcstart.btm file on my drive:

@echo off
cls
c:
Cd \
rem unalias dd
alias /r c:\alias.txt
set colordir=dirs:bright cyan;rdonly:bright yellow;system:bright green
cls /c bri whi on blu

In TC, the read-only are noticeable bright yellow. In TCMD, unless you are really looking, the yellow isn't readily seen...very pale. Is this another casualty (for me) of the new color scheme?

Edit:
Don't worry about that though. I'll just change the color.

If you go back a few posts, I posted pics of the twi color schemes side by side. You're right, bright yellow doesn't look much like yellow.

I've read that the colors were introduced in build 16257, in August 2017.

The file you posted already has the new colors. I doubt updates will keep changing them.

I believe that a .REG file with the content below will give you the old default colors. I've been going back and forth between the Win 7 and Win 10 colors all day to try to figure out why, with the new Win 10 ones, TCMD shows me the old BLUE in the colors dialog but then gives me the new BLUE in a tab.

Code:

"ColorTable00"=dword:00000000
"ColorTable01"=dword:00800000
"ColorTable02"=dword:00008000
"ColorTable03"=dword:00808000
"ColorTable04"=dword:00000080
"ColorTable05"=dword:00800080
"ColorTable06"=dword:00008080
"ColorTable07"=dword:00c0c0c0
"ColorTable08"=dword:00808080
"ColorTable09"=dword:00ff0000
"ColorTable10"=dword:0000ff00
"ColorTable11"=dword:00ffff00
"ColorTable12"=dword:000000ff
"ColorTable13"=dword:00ff00ff
"ColorTable14"=dword:0000ffff
"ColorTable15"=dword:00ffffff

Thanks Vince. Geez, I wish they would just give us a bit of a heads up on something as foundational as the color scheme. That's probably the hardest piece: the effect(s) of "structural" changes like these don't always impact all programs in the same manner.

You say that the colors in the entry above will yield Windows 7 colors. Is that what Windows 10 had before this latest set of changes over the last updates? What is strange is that I was updating all along via the Insider program, but I only noticed the color shifts in the last weeks, not back as far as August, 2017.

Chuck

As far as I know, the change last August was the first ever. Before that, he console had the same color palette going all the way back to MSDOS and the earliest versions of Windows.

Did you check to see if the palette actually changed in the last few weeks? The behavior of some API may have changed instead. Did you compare your colors now (HKCU\Console\ColorTable00 ...) to the ones I posted (which are from 8/2/2017)?

As far as I know, the change last August was the first ever. Before that, he console had the same color palette going all the way back to MSDOS and the earliest versions of Windows.

Did you check to see if the palette actually changed in the last few weeks? The behavior of some API may have changed instead. Did you compare your colors now (HKCU\Console\ColorTable00 ...) to the ones I posted (which are from 8/2/2017)?

Here's where I am at the moment:

Yours -- the above entry

Mine

"ColorTable00"=dword:000c0c0c
"ColorTable02"=dword:000ea113
"ColorTable03"=dword:00dd963a
"ColorTable04"=dword:001f0fc5
"ColorTable05"=dword:00981788
"ColorTable06"=dword:00009cc1
"ColorTable07"=dword:00cccccc
"ColorTable08"=dword:00767676
"ColorTable09"=dword:00ff783b
"ColorTable10"=dword:000cc616
"ColorTable11"=dword:00d6d661
"ColorTable12"=dword:005648e7
"ColorTable13"=dword:009e00b4
"ColorTable14"=dword:00a5f1f9

Those (yours) are as they were in August 2017 (some version of the Creator's update).

So Vince, if the colors from Windows 10 RTM 10240 are, as I recall, just what I want them to be -- Windows 7 colors you say? -- can I save off the reg entry (above) from a vanilla 10240 and then use that to keep the colors where I want them to stay?

Yea, 'cause I don't recall noticing any major change till -- well, till I came to this board whining about it. Subtle changes maybe but certainly nothing as severe as recently.

So if I use the colors below, saving them I guess as a reg entry, I would be able to "revert" back after any update change coming up?

If you go back a few posts, I posted pics of the twi color schemes side by side. You're right, bright yellow doesn't look much like yellow.

I've read that the colors were introduced in build 16257, in August 2017.

The file you posted already has the new colors. I doubt updates will keep changing them.

I believe that a .REG file with the content below will give you the old default colors. I've been going back and forth between the Win 7 and Win 10 colors all day to try to figure out why, with the new Win 10 ones, TCMD shows me the old BLUE in the colors dialog but then gives me the new BLUE in a tab.

Code:

See https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/08/02/updating-the-windows-console-colors/

It's first sentence says
The Windows Console's colors are getting their first overhaul in more than 20 years!
So, I figure the colors in RTM 10240 were the same as in Windows 7 (and XP ... and 2000 ...).

If you export HKCU\Console as a .REG file, you'll be able to restore it by simply importing the file (which involves a 2-click, dismissing the UAC prompt, and reading a warning).

The file I posted is just an edit of the one you posted; all I did was change "ColorTableNN" values. If you've added anything to HKCU\Console since then (made new desktop shortcuts, changes properties, et c.) they won't be affected

Vince/Charles, my sanity thanks you, and my eyes thank you, I may be the only one that prefers or (visually) is aided by these settings, but I do and I am. For that, I am grateful.

Chuck

Back