Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Browser doesn't start while IDE is running

May
I just noticed this, on two machines (including the one at work which has had no problems lately).

After starting BDEBUGGER, internet shortcuts (dragged from FireFox's location bar to the desktop or any folder) won't start ... I get an hourglass which persists for 30 seconds (or until IDE is closed) ... then the browser opens.

The same will happen if, while IDE is running, I type a URL at another TCC's prompt.

It's easy to repro. With FireFox as default browser, "BDEBUGGER file.btm", and 2-click on a desktop internet shortcut or type a URL at another TCC's prompt.

I just noticed this, on two machines (including the one at work which has had no problems lately).

After starting BDEBUGGER, internet shortcuts (dragged from FireFox's location bar to the desktop or any folder) won't start ... I get an hourglass which persists for 30 seconds (or until IDE is closed) ... then the browser opens.

The same will happen if, while IDE is running, I type a URL at another TCC's prompt.

It's easy to repro. With FireFox as default browser, "BDEBUGGER file.btm", and 2-click on a desktop internet shortcut or type a URL at another TCC's prompt.

The same thing happens if the browser is already running. Either method (above) should open a new FireFox tab (DDE?) but if IDE is running, it won't open for 30 seconds or until IDE is closed, whichever comes first.

The same thing happens if the browser is already running. Either method (above) should open a new FireFox tab (DDE?) but if IDE is running, it won't open for 30 seconds or until IDE is closed, whichever comes first.

And the same thing happens with IDE v11.

Not reproducible here. I get a one second hourglass and then Firefox appears.

Try it without any plugins loaded.

The behavior is the same with no plugins loaded (called "BDEBUGGER /IP file" from a "/IP" session).

I did notice however that if, after starting IDE, I wait 30 seconds before trying to open an internet shortcut, it's OK.

All of this reminds me that (as I reported a few days ago) after installing v12 on my work machine, IDE itself would take 30 seconds to start up from a bare TCC. That problem went away after I ran TCMD12 for the first time.

P.S. Couldn't that be automatic ... if TCC is started with /IP (and others) IDE is started with the same options?

It's not only browser related. The same thing happens if I "SHELLEX v:\" during IDE's first 30 seconds. SHELLEX is a plugin that simply uses ShellExecuteEx. It would seem that all DDE is affected.

It's not only browser related. The same thing happens if I "SHELLEX v:\" during IDE's first 30 seconds. SHELLEX is a plugin that simply uses ShellExecuteEx. It would seem that all DDE is affected.

Still not reproducible here (on four machines), regardless of when the browser is started.

Neither Take Command, TCC, nor IDE use DDE.

The behavior is the same with no plugins loaded (called "BDEBUGGER /IP file" from a "/IP" session).

I did notice however that if, after starting IDE, I wait 30 seconds before trying to open an internet shortcut, it's OK.

I did a quick Google search and found a few zillion messages about Firefox loading really slowly, which has been blamed on about every program out there. There's about as many "fixes" out there. Have you tried disabling/removing Firefox extensions?

After IDE displays its window, it's sitting in a message loop waiting for something to happen (with no additional threads running); hard to see how that could be adversely affecting Firefox.

P.S. Couldn't that be automatic ... if TCC is started with /IP (and others) IDE is started with the same options?

It could be, but IMO it would be a bad idea (particularly in TCMD).

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 20:36:51 -0500, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
|It's not only browser related. The same thing happens if I "SHELLEX v:\" during IDE's first 30 seconds. SHELLEX is a plugin that simply uses ShellExecuteEx. It would seem that all DDE is affected.
|---End Quote---
|
|Still not reproducible here (on four machines), regardless of when the browser is started.
|
|Neither Take Command, TCC, nor IDE use DDE.

Have you any ideas on debugging it or other things I might try to get rid of it?

And, these bad things **don't** happen if IDE's parent is not TCC; that is, if I start IDE by clicking in Explorer, at a CMD prompt, or even from TCC with "START d:\tc12\ide.exe".

And, these bad things **don't** happen if IDE's parent is not TCC; that is, if I start IDE by clicking in Explorer, at a CMD prompt, or even from TCC with "START d:\tc12\ide.exe".

It's fixed in build 36. What was the problem?