Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BUG: 'dig' of bind 9.6.0 P1 crashes when used with TC10

Jul
'dig' of bind 9.6.0-P1 Windows binary distribution (downloadable here) crashes when used from within TakeCommand 10 (I'm using the latest version, 10.00.67).

It doesn't crash when used from regular windows command prompt (XP Pro SP3). When using dig from bind's previous production release 9.5.1-P2, it won't crash.

Using dig without any parameters other than the domain name (i.e. 'dig somedomainname.com') doesn't cause crash every time but, for example, 'dig somedomainname.com a' does it every time.

Whether this is a bug in dig.exe or in TC/TCC, it only presents itself with TC/TCC prompt.

BUG: 'dig' of bind 9.6.0 P1 (production release) crashes when used with TC10

On 2009-05-13 08:25, Ville wrote:

> 'dig' of bind 9.6.0-P1 Windows binary distribution (downloadable here (https://www.isc.org/downloadables/11)) crashes when used from within TakeCommand 10 (I'm using the latest version, 10.00.67).
>
> It doesn't crash when used from regular windows command prompt (XP Pro SP3). When using dig from bind's previous production release 9.5.1-P2, it won't crash.

I have no problems here with dig 9.6.0-P1, under TC 10.00.67. Since
dig, and the other bind tools, are quite sensitive to the PATH setting,
can you please check if the PATH is not different for your cmd.exe and
tcc.exe instances?

The paths did differ, but it didn't seem to be the cause for the problem (I made the TC path exactly the same as in the cmd.exe, but the crash still occurs with 9.6.0-P1).

It's possible, though, that something in my system is causing the problem; I'll test the same on few other systems tomorrow.

The paths did differ, but it didn't seem to be the cause for the problem (I made the TC path exactly the same as in the cmd.exe, but the crash still occurs with 9.6.0-P1).

It's possible, though, that something in my system is causing the problem; I'll test the same on few other systems tomorrow.
I just upgraded my copy of dig, and don't have a problem. One thing you might check is how many copies of libeay32.dll you have floating around. I recall having a problem in something else because it was picking up the wrong version of libeay32.dll.

BUG: 'dig' of bind 9.6.0 P1 (production release) crashes when used with TC10

Ville wrote:

> 'dig' of bind 9.6.0-P1 Windows binary distribution (downloadable here (https://www.isc.org/downloadables/11)) crashes when used from within TakeCommand 10 (I'm using the latest version, 10.00.67).
>
> It doesn't crash when used from regular windows command prompt (XP Pro SP3). When using dig from bind's previous production release 9.5.1-P2, it won't crash.
>
> Using dig without any parameters other than the domain name (i.e. '*dig somedomainname.com*') doesn't cause crash every time but, for example, '*dig somedomainname.com a*' does it every time.
>
> Whether this is a bug in dig.exe or in TC/TCC, it only presents itself with TC/TCC prompt.

Not reproducible here.

It cannot be a bug in TCC, as it would require a matching (and
catastrophic) bug in Windows for TCC to affect a separate process.

It's going to be either a bug in dig.exe (manifested by a slightly
different environment or other setup configuration between your CMD and
TCC sessions), or a third-party app crashing dig (i.e., by injecting a
dll into dig's address space).

Rex Conn
JP Software

Rex & others, thanks for the responses. I'll debug further on my system, concentrating on the environment differences between TCC and CMD.

Hmm.. after upgrading from 10.0.67 to 10.0.68 the problem with latest dig crashing seems to have gone away. Did something that could've affected this issue change in TCC, or was it perhaps just the reinstallation that made the difference?