Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Build 35 under XP

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
May
Staff member
TCC 15.00.35 is happy under XP, but Take Command won't start (dependency on InitializeCriticalSectionEx() ).

Is there a simple way to revert to TC 15.00.34 or a place to download it? If I had only known, I wouldn't have done the automatic update at this time. :(

I've worked around it in build 15.00.36 (already uploaded).

I had to revert Take Command to Visual Studio 2010, because Microsoft did such a thorough job of breaking XP support in Visual Studio 2012 Update 2. And developers can't uninstall Update 2 without uninstalling & reinstalling 2012 (a very lengthy process), or even revert to the original Visual Studio 2012 (which doesn't support XP by design, as opposed to the apparent careless neglect / ineptitude of Update 2). And reverting to Visual Studio 2012 + Update 1 (which does support XP), isn't possible, because Microsoft has removed Update 1 from its web sites.

Those of you clinging to your creaky, slow, insecure, and buggy XP systems in the hopes that Microsoft will relent on its April 2014 end of life date can give up that faint hope. Microsoft's response thus far to the VS2012 Update 2 fiasco has been (1) don't statically link your programs (not an option for Take Command), or (2) don't support XP.

I had to revert Take Command to Visual Studio 2010, because Microsoft did such a thorough job of breaking XP support in Visual Studio 2012 Update 2. And developers can't uninstall . . .
What a horror story!!
Those of you clinging to your creaky, slow, insecure, and buggy XP systems in the hopes that Microsoft will relent on its April 2014 end of life date can give up that faint hope.
And can move on to Windows 8 where the only professional support we can count on will come from JPSoftware! Sigh!! ;0

Thanks for the explanation and your, as always, outstanding support!

I've worked around it in build 15.00.36 (already uploaded).

Thanks for the great support, as always. The bad news is that my XP box is at work, and I won't be back in until Tuesday.... but it seems that others had the same issue, so presumably someone else can confirm the fix.

And developers can't uninstall Update 2 without uninstalling & reinstalling 2012 (a very lengthy process) ....

I installed the "Express" edition, and it was an awe-inspiringly slow process. Watch progress bar for an hour, go to lunch, do the sudoku, come back, see that the progress bar is up to 58%.... My dictionary has for express: 3a. Sent out with or moving at high speed. 3b. Direct, rapid, and usually nonstop: express travel.

I installed the "Express" edition, and it was an awe-inspiringly slow process. Watch progress bar for an hour, go to lunch, do the sudoku, come back, see that the progress bar is up to 58%.... My dictionary has for express: 3a. Sent out with or moving at high speed. 3b. Direct, rapid, and usually nonstop: express travel.

Microsoft redefined Express as: 1. Remove most of the features, and 2. Still install reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyyy sloooooooooooooowww.

Microsoft redefined Express as: 1. Remove most of the features, and 2. Still install reeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyyy sloooooooooooooowww.
Alternately: Install everything we, your rulers, tell you to, whether or not it benefits you. Even if it is for products you never use!

FWIW I have also installed TC 15.00.36 on both my "creaky, slow, insecure, and buggy XP systems" and it appears to be working just fine - as if there was any doubt. :)

Don't worry I will surely upgrade to Windows 8 when I have to and I expect to experience the same flawless push update quality as I have on my Windows 7 platform recently - NOT! e.g. [URL=http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839011]KB 2839011[/URL] ;) I NEVER expect to do a Windows Update without holding my breath and crossing my fingers until it appears that the system is not hosed!