Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Can't keep up with my typing?

Feb
I am using a licensed copy of tcc.
However, I have a lot of uses for the full tabbed Take Command experience.

What is holding me back is that Take Command has issues with keyboard input - if you type really fast, it may miss carriage returns. This is pretty unusual behavior for windows keyboard messages/focus. Nothing like this happens in the normal TCC or the builtin windows console.

holy moly i lost my breath reading your text. Pause.... ahh now I've finished reading your text

I wonder if anyone else had to have a breather before continuing
Sorry buddie I have no answer just a breather

holy moly i lost my breath reading your text. Pause.... ahh now I've finished reading your text

I wonder if anyone else had to have a breather before continuing
Sorry buddie I have no answer just a breather
It is real, though, and ive been able to repro.
A typical case is typing something like "d:<enter>cd temp" and having it show up as "d:cd temp".

I determined what the issue is:

In a normal shell window, shift-enter is the same as enter.
In a TCC window, shift-enter does nothing.

So, when I chord "d:<enter>", the enter will be dropped if I'm a little slow to release the shift key.
Other common editing keys such as backspace also behave this way.

I've never seen it with the Enter key specifically, but I have seen this happen with other keys, e.g. letters that should be capitalized coming out lowercase instead.

Sounds like they might be tracking the windows key up/down events and interpreting that instead of using the higher level "character entered" event

I configure the keyboard with Sticky Keys: if you press and release Shift, then press 1, you get the exclamation mark. This does not work with Take Command; with Take Command the Shift must be pressed at the time you press 1. There has been a thread of discussion around this years ago.

TCMD does not consider Shift-Enter and Enter to be equivalent, because TCMD allows you to redefine your editing keys and it would annoy people who want to define Shift-Enter to do something else.

However, you can tell TCMD to take either Enter or Shift-Enter by going to the OPTION / Keyboard dialog, and adding Shift-Enter to the Editing / ExecLine key command.

Back