Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Cascadia Code Font

Aug
Microsoft's open-source font designed for command line applications including Windows Terminal.

microsoft/cascadia-code

If you just want the font, click on Cascadia.ttf to download.

Once downloaded, double-click on Cascadia.ttf to run it.

This will bring up a preview window, from which you can click Install to install the font.

Joe

Not bad. I've been using DejaVu Sans Mono. I'll give this one a try for a while.

Sans Serif. Bleargh…

Also font middle line is way below the comfortable viewing level. Feels like somebody chopped the legs in half.

Sans Serif. Bleargh…

I, too, prefer serifed monospace fonts for coding, but am always willing to try new ones of any type that pop up on my radar. I never know what ones will look best on what machine/screen/application combination.

This font looks really nice in Visual Studio. Also interesting how it changes "!=" and ">=" into what appears to be single characters:

Capture.PNG

I still prefer Consolas in things like Notepad++ or Delphi XE6. But Visual Studio 2019 this one looks really good. Thanks for the tip.

It's called ligatures. And while looks cool, it really not all that helpful.

And I'd actually call this a misfeature. Ligatures are meant to show better two characters next to each other, not to replace them by entirely different symbols.

If this is a non-optional thing, that's a deal breaker right away...

EDIT: installed it, tried it, no unwanted ligatures so far... no Visual Studio here, though, so perhaps this is something that VS itself does.

Responsible font renderer should explicitly ask for available ligatures.
So, no, if your application/text control does not support/not have enabled ligatures, you will not see them.

It's called ligatures.
Thanks, I hadn't seen it before. Not sure what I think about it - it may be something I can get used to or grow to prefer.

If this is a non-optional thing, that's a deal breaker right away...
Found no way to disable it in Visual Studio. I really like the font though, it is more readable than Consolas to me. Interestingly enough some other applications don't render the font as nicely as Visual Studio does.

Here's another coding font while we are on the topic:

It also does ligatures but maybe a non-issue if your editor doesn't support it.

No þ, no Ñ, no accents, no combining diacritics whatsoever... actually, its coverage is unbelievably low:

1569233047375.png

Frankly, I find it absurd that it would have a "clever" ligature to present != as if it were ≠ (with the whole array of consequences this brings), but the ≠ code point is not actually supported.

This state of things would be passable for a v0.1, but certainly isn't good enough for public consumption.

Note well that "This release introduces the initial version of Cascadia Code".

As the source code is included, and if one is so willing, the font can be modified.

The contact info for the Microsoft folks working on this project is available.

Reference: microsoft/cascadia-code

Joe

Well it is designed for coding. Do you use those characters in source code? String resources, maybe...

Besides comments, as w_krieger points out, Java and several other modern programming languages accept them as variable and method names (and at least one accepts them as custom-defined operators). So yeah, they're needed when writing source code.

Back