Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Change thread prefix? Easy "create thread" method?

May
I reported what I though was a bug with the BUG thread prefix. On discovering it was WAD, I could not figure out how to change the thread prefix!

Is there a way without going through multiple steps to go from the "What's New" view to creating a new thread? Or from replying to a thread?

Originators are allowed to set original prefix, and delete threads, but not change its prefix once thread is launched... Unbalanced?

Is there a one-click way to start a new thread? There is nothing under "thread tools".

Unbalanced?

Well, people say a lot of things about me....

Is there a one-click way to start a new thread? There is nothing under "thread tools".

I think you have to be looking at a forum page to do that. If you click the "Quick Navigation" button (looks like a northeast-pointing arrow, at least in the style I'm looking at) you'll get a popup list of the forums; probably a little quicker than going back to the forums list page.

Of course "unbalanced" referred to the rights of thread originators - why can I set the prefix of a thread when I start it, delete the whole thread (which only a moderator should be allowed to do to offensive threads), but not keep the thread with a changed prefix? After all, I can just start a new thread with the same title and the prefix of my choice!

IMHO there should be a top button "Start New Thread" next to the "What's New" button (or anywhere else on that line) which would allow me to select the forum in which to start the new thread. Whether this is already available but not enabled, or it needs XenForo action, it is highly desirable.

What happens if a problem is reported FIXED, by the prefix, but is not? Need a new thread? Apology for previous post being doubled - "race condition" between selecting "post reply" and website response. Old, and otherwise not of good memory, sparklist would have rejected the second submission with a nastygram. Seems new products don't always include good features of old ones.

What happens if a problem is reported FIXED, by the prefix, but is not? Need a new thread?

You can either start a new thread or post a reply in the existing one.

Do you have a bug to re-report, or is this a hypothetical case?

Old, and otherwise not of good memory, sparklist would have rejected the second submission with a nastygram. Seems new products don't always include good features of old ones.

That's like pining for MS-DOS 3.0, because you can't remember how awful it was. Sparklist's only redeeming feature is that it is long dead and buried.

I was referring to my help nits report in the other thread, which was reported fixed but not in the next distributed build. Possibly a different prefix indicating that a problem is fixed, but the solution is not yet distributed could exist.

As to Sparklist, I was happy with it, but that's not what was my thrust. It was that - unlike JPsoft - many companies do not look at the good features available in their competitor's software. Duplicate posting is undoubtedly common enough that Xenforo ought to at least check for it.

I was referring to my help nits report in the other thread, which was reported fixed but not in the next distributed build. Possibly a different prefix indicating that a problem is fixed, but the solution is not yet distributed could exist.

I'm not anxious to implement solutions that will double my workload in order to resolve a not-particularly-important problem ...