Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Changing the TAB key

Aug
Code:
     _x64: 1
   _admin: 1
_elevated: 1

TCC  26.00.29 x64   Windows 10 [Version 10.0.18362.719]

When I type
Code:
dir smb
and press the tab key, it returns
Code:
dir smbiosd.exe

What I want to do is type
Code:
dir smb
and press the tab key, and have it return only the filename
Code:
dir smbiosd.

If I press the tab key again, I want it to display all matching files, in this case
Code:
smbiosd.exe   smbiosd.txt

Now, if I type
Code:
e
to begin the extension, and then press tab again, it will complete the filename with extension
Code:
dir smbiosd.exe

Is this possible, without having to create a plugin?

Joe

Is that so you can get at smbiosd.exe with smb/tab/e/tab (instead of smb/tab)

... and smbiosd.txt with smb/tab/t/tab (instead of smb/tab/tab)?

I don't see the advantage until you have quite a few files with the same name and different extensions.

Anyway, that would be quite a departure from what we have now.

If you want to pick from a list of matching files, try pressing F7 instead of Tab.

Not a biggie. I have been working with FreeDOS of late, and had become used to how the tab key works on that OS.

Yes, I am aware of how TCC allows one to pick from a list of matching files by pressing F7.

Again, not a biggie, just wondering.

Joe

F7 does nothing here (probably one of my tweaks). Do you know its name in _ININAME\[Keys] or where to find it in OPTION\Keyboard?

It's called PopFile. In a console window, Ctrl-Tab should do the same thing, but not in Take Command.

It's possible, but you'll have to at least write a tab completion script.

I personally dislike that kind of completion (and also the bash behavior of only completing a unique part of the filename and then beeping at you), so it's highly unlikely to become the standard TCC completion.

Hey @rconn, I don't think it should become the standard TCC completion either.

I was just curious if it could be done without having to create a plugin.

I will review the TABCOMPLETE command, and see what I can accomplish.

Thanks from Joe

the bash behavior of only completing a unique part of the filename and then beeping at you
It is not "only" beeping at you, it indicates that there are multiple choices pending. You can tab again to see them, or just continue entering the path if you know it, which is less distracting.