Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Checking for a newer version" doesn't complete

Jan
I am unable to install the v16 upgrade because the installer tries to check for a newer version and doesn't complete. I have actually been unable to use "Check for Updates" for the past couple of major releases because it never completes. Any ideas?

The "Checking for newer version" window pops up but doesn't complete. I turned off both antivirus and the firewall temporarily, but that makes no difference.

it is a consistent issue for me for the last several versions. I am sure that it is something specific to my configuration; but I have been unable to run down the cause. (I am not new to TC, I have been using it since at least v7....

The immediate issue could be resolved if the installer didn't force a check for a newer version and would simply allow you to upgrade.

it is a consistent issue for me for the last several versions. I am sure that it is something specific to my configuration; but I have been unable to run down the cause. (I am not new to TC, I have been using it since at least v7....

The immediate issue could be resolved if the installer didn't force a check for a newer version and would simply allow you to upgrade.

Checking for newer versions is new to v16; if you were having problems in previous versions then you have an unrelated issue.

Mr. Conn, I was probably not clear in my earlier response. I have never had a problem with the installer in previous versions. But, the Updater would freeze in the past couple of major releases if I attempted to "Check for Updates." So, I was assuming that v16 must be calling the Updater during installation. Any suggestions as the why the Updater doesn't complete and could this problem be the same mechanism failing?

Mr. Conn, I was probably not clear in my earlier response. I have never had a problem with the installer in previous versions. But, the Updater would freeze in the past couple of major releases if I attempted to "Check for Updates." So, I was assuming that v16 must be calling the Updater during installation. Any suggestions as the why the Updater doesn't complete and could this problem be the same mechanism failing?

Did you install TCMD in an account with admin priviliges but usually run it from a standard user account? If so you might be having a problem with access permissions somewhere. I ran into a similar problem once but I received an "access denied" error from the limited user account rather then the update just not completing.

FWIW, take a look at this thread and see if it helps. If it doesn't I'm afraid I'm out of ideas...

Dan

No, I run it from an account with admin privileges. I had seen that thread previously and fiddled with the .ini file since I suspected permissions too. Periodically for the past year or so I have attempted to troubleshoot the update issue to no avail. But, it really didn't cause me heartburn until v16 because I can't install the new version now. Thanks for the suggestions though....

No, I run it from an account with admin privileges. I had seen that thread previously and fiddled with the .ini file since I suspected permissions too. Periodically for the past year or so I have attempted to troubleshoot the update issue to no avail. But, it really didn't cause me heartburn until v16 because I can't install the new version now. Thanks for the suggestions though....

So just to double check my understanding of this, you have a previous version installed (v15?) which works fine except if you do a "check for updates" it hangs and never reports if an update is available. You've now manually downloaded a copy of v16 but the installer hangs at some point because (we think) it's checking if a newer version is available before installing, and that check isn't completing.

Clutching at straws perhaps, but I would expect the installer to work on a machine with no internet connection, so is it worth pulling the Ethernet cable out of your machine (or disabling wireless or Ethernet adapter) temporarily and then trying to run the installer? If your problem is caused by an update check it might be skipped if the network isn't available and it might install.

That was a very insightful answer. After the attempt to check for a newer version timed out, the installation proceeded normally. Thank you! (I wish I had thought of that.)

That was a very insightful answer. After the attempt to check for a newer version timed out, the installation proceeded normally. Thank you! (I wish I had thought of that.)

Glad I could help. Your next challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to figure out why the updater is failing to complete. I guess we have a bit of an insight that it must be connecting to something, otherwise it would time out as you found when you disconnected from the network.

Actually, my first task last night was to see if the updater worked in v16. I also had a fresh look at the new updater.ini file which appears to be correct for the new directory names. I still doesn't time out though if I disable my network adapter.

Actually, my first task last night was to see if the updater worked in v16. I also had a fresh look at the new updater.ini file which appears to be correct for the new directory names. I still doesn't time out though if I disable my network adapter.

Sorry Tom, I can't think what might be stopping the updater, but it's good news you've got v16 installed. Some things to try if you haven't already:

There are different ways to check for updates, have you tried only one? If so it's worth trying the others (it shouldn't make any difference, but you never know):
  1. In the help menu of Take Command there's a Check For Updates button on the ribbon
  2. In the options menu of Take Command there's a TCC button on the ribbon which opens an options dialogue window, select the Updates tab in that window and then check for updates.
  3. In a standalone TCC console type "Option" and then select the Updates tab and Check for Updates
Can you manually copy the version information file that the updater uses from JP Software's server? Try this at a TCC prompt:
Code:
copy http://jpsoft.com/downloads/v16/tcmdx64update.aiu

That command retrieves a 584 byte file with an MD5 hash of D20BD736747FE4A85CA2745F390DDB76 (at the time of writing with v16 build 36, it will change when the next update is released). If you can't get that file manually then it might be a clue.

Good Luck!

Rex informed us that the installer information in the .aiu file (e.g., size and MD5) is not guaranteed (though thus far it has always been correct), effectively saying "download it; try to install it; if not correct, it cannot be installed". Due to the download volume limit my ISP inflicts on me (speed reduced to less than 100kb/s if over the limit) I download using a batch file, and copy to all licensed systems manually.

Rex informed us that the installer information in the .aiu file (e.g., size and MD5) is not guaranteed <snip>

Just to clarify Steve, the file size and MD5 I gave above are of the .aui file itself after I downloaded it, not information from within the file. If Tom can successfully download an uncorrupted version of that file he will have the option to create a batch file as a workaround for the "check for updates" mechanism by saving a local copy of the file and then periodically downloading a copy and comparing it to the local version.

Dan

... and that's what I do when just an occasional update is released, particularly if I had not been on the computer for a while (hard to believe but it does happen).

All of those "Update" buttons apparently call Updater.exe and they all hang on this dialogue box:
upload_2014-1-16_8-37-31.png

I can download the updater.ini file and it does reflect build 36. That is a good workaround to my previous workaround, which was just to periodically download a newer version and attempt to install it to see if it was needed....