1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checking for Updates

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dan Glynhampton, Feb 26, 2013.

  1. Dan Glynhampton

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2013
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    0
    TCC 14.03.59 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]

    Apologies if this is answered somewhere in the forum, I've searched for an answer but can't find one.

    I normally run TakeCommand/TCC in a limited user account. If I use the Help/Check for Updates (or Option /u) command in the limited user account I see a window saying "checking for updates" which is replaced after a couple of seconds by an Error window that just says "Access is Denied".

    If I log onto an admin account (or start /runas another TCC with admin rights) then the update check works normally. I guess it might be something to do with file permissions, so I tried giving my limited user account full access rights to the TCMD folder in Program Files, but that makes no difference.

    It seems odd that I can't do a check for a newer version from my limited user account. I don't mind switching to an admin window/account to do the actual upgrade, but it would be nice to check first without having to do that.

    Is this a limitation of the updater? Or are there some file permissions that I can set to allow limited user accounts to check for updates?
     
  2. rconn

    rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Messages:
    9,856
    Likes Received:
    83
    It doesn't have anything to do with file permissions; it's probably a proxy issue. The updater is querying the JP Software HTTP server and retrieving a file (tcmdupdate.aiu) which it compares to the local one to see if anything has changed.
     
  3. Dan Glynhampton

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2013
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    0
    OK, thanks for the info Rex. It might also be a firewall issue I guess, I'll look into it and let you know if I find a solution.

    Dan
     
  4. Dan Glynhampton

    Joined:
    Feb 26, 2013
    Messages:
    100
    Likes Received:
    0
    Well it turned out to be a problem with permissions after all. The updater's configuration file (updater.ini) contains a line pointing to the download folder. I installed Take Command from an admin account and updater.ini contained this line:

    DownloadsFolder=C:\Users\<ADMIN USER>\AppData\Roaming\JP Software\Take Command x64 14.0\updates\

    That folder is of course part of the admin account's profile. When I run the updater from a limited user account it tries to access the downloads folder and the result is an Access Denied error.

    Taking a gamble that environment variables can be used in the updater.ini file I changed that line to:

    DownloadsFolder=%APPDATA%\JP Software\Take Command x64 14.0\updates\

    and all is now well! The check for updates command now works in admin and limited user accounts.

    I don't know if the next update will reset my changes to updater.ini - I'll watch out for that and change it back if necessary.

    Dan
     

Share This Page