Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Checking for Updates

Feb
TCC 14.03.59 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]

Apologies if this is answered somewhere in the forum, I've searched for an answer but can't find one.

I normally run TakeCommand/TCC in a limited user account. If I use the Help/Check for Updates (or Option /u) command in the limited user account I see a window saying "checking for updates" which is replaced after a couple of seconds by an Error window that just says "Access is Denied".

If I log onto an admin account (or start /runas another TCC with admin rights) then the update check works normally. I guess it might be something to do with file permissions, so I tried giving my limited user account full access rights to the TCMD folder in Program Files, but that makes no difference.

It seems odd that I can't do a check for a newer version from my limited user account. I don't mind switching to an admin window/account to do the actual upgrade, but it would be nice to check first without having to do that.

Is this a limitation of the updater? Or are there some file permissions that I can set to allow limited user accounts to check for updates?

It doesn't have anything to do with file permissions; it's probably a proxy issue. The updater is querying the JP Software HTTP server and retrieving a file (tcmdupdate.aiu) which it compares to the local one to see if anything has changed.

OK, thanks for the info Rex. It might also be a firewall issue I guess, I'll look into it and let you know if I find a solution.

Dan

Well it turned out to be a problem with permissions after all. The updater's configuration file (updater.ini) contains a line pointing to the download folder. I installed Take Command from an admin account and updater.ini contained this line:

DownloadsFolder=C:\Users\<ADMIN USER>\AppData\Roaming\JP Software\Take Command x64 14.0\updates\

That folder is of course part of the admin account's profile. When I run the updater from a limited user account it tries to access the downloads folder and the result is an Access Denied error.

Taking a gamble that environment variables can be used in the updater.ini file I changed that line to:

DownloadsFolder=%APPDATA%\JP Software\Take Command x64 14.0\updates\

and all is now well! The check for updates command now works in admin and limited user accounts.

I don't know if the next update will reset my changes to updater.ini - I'll watch out for that and change it back if necessary.

Dan