Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

color 00

Jun
Hello.

There is an issue with "Color 00" command.

Some code
Code:
@Echo off
*Set ok=OK
*Color %1 2>nul
If ErrorLevel=1 Set ok=FAIL
color
echo %1 %ok

Some calls:
Code:
c.btm 01
01 OK
Good

Code:
c.btm 11
11 FAIL
Good

Code:
c.btm 00
00 OK
Not good

Why this issue is important for me?
Building boost library (any version) under TCC fails due to mentioned issue.
Example invocation of boost script: "bootstrap.bat mingw" - parameter mingw is not recognized and default (empty value) is used.
Inside the build.bat "color 00" is used to set non-zero value of errorlevel, under TCC it is not set.

That's odd, given that I build Boost regularly with TCC and have never experienced any problems.

TCC used to return an error on a COLOR 00, but it was changed a while back (before v17) because some inept batch files (that were trying to turn off the display) were failing under TCC.

Fresh copy of boost 1.57
Using TCC17:
take a look at window title: bootstrap uses cl instead of gcc
bootstrap1.png

and after the process:
bootstrap2.png

And the log is attached (renamed as bootstrap.txt; .log is not allowed extension).

--------------------------------------------------------------
The same process using TCC/LE, (again: fresh copy of boost 1.57), everything else is the same.
Build process: in the title there is gcc:
bootstrap1ok.png

and after bootstrapping:
bootstrap2ok.png

Everything is OK.

Attachments

• bootstrap.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 226
Code near the line 12 of tools\build\src\engine\build.bat:
Code:
[11] :Set_Error
[12] color 00
[13] goto :eof

Bootstrapping goes fine if it would be modified to
Code:
color 11 2>nul

I don't see that, but I don't use mingw, I use VS 2013 to build Boost.

The bootstrapping may be working on your system, but the "color 00" turns off the output.

1. bootstrap fails - see attached log.
2. bootstrap ignores "mingw" parameter, guesses compiler and assumes VS. And then - build boost for visual studio

Code near the line 12 of tools\build\src\engine\build.bat:
Code:
[11] :Set_Error
[12] color 00
[13] goto :eof

Bootstrapping goes fine if it would be modified to
Code:
color 11 2>nul

Even for the Boost developers ("if it works under Linux, we don't need to test anything else"), that's a remarkably stupid script.

Are you saying that you have *two* problems -- one with recognizing "mingw" and another with "color 00"?

A can agree - the script is extremely complicated, without any real reason.

There is only one issue: "color 00 doesn't set errorlovel"

It is extracted from boost script: "why boost doesn't build for libraries mingw under TCC, while under cmd.exe everything is fine"

In the tools\build\src\engine\build.bat, very strange code tests if parameter "mingw" == "". Strange code gets strange results, because "color 00" doesn't set errorlevel in subroutine :Set_Error (shown in the previous post).

----

To replicate the problem: installation of mingw is not required. Just download latest boost and trace execution:
"bdebugger bootstrap.bat mingw"
It leads to the issue very early