COMMAND.COM IS 40 YEARS OLD

Oct 18, 2009
Checked just out of curiosity.

command.com first came out in 1980, so it's 40 years old.

If Microsoft had continued ACTIVE development for FORTY YEARS--TCMD is what it would look like today.

Reactions: Charles G
Nov 2, 2008
It probably would not look like tcmd. Firstly, there was an update in windows 2000. But since then, microsoft has been trying to push people onto powershell, or vbasicscript or whatever. There has been plenty of room to interface with the windows shell, but this has largely not happened.

For example, to emulate changing to a shell directory, I use frank westlake's conset. Not only do you have the choice of the standard shell folders, you can make up your own. so "cdf email" opens up the email download directory, and "cdf source" opens up the page to the source of my webpage.

May 26, 2008
You can do something similar in PowerShell. In my PS startup script I have something like this:

Code:
New-PSDrive -Name 'desk' -PSProvider FileSystem -Root "$env:USERPROFILE\Desktop"
New-PSDrive -Name 'docs' -PSProvider FileSystem -Root "$env:USERPROFILE\Documents"

This lets me do a "cd desk:" to go to my Desktop directory.

This is my way of changing to a folder in PowerShell, which is similar in TCC;
Code:
function utils: { set-location e:\utils }
function docs: { set-location e:\documents }
function pdf: { set-location e:\documents\pdf }

In TCC, I have the same defined, but as aliases;
Code:
utils:=E:\utils
docs:=e:\documents
pdf:=e:\documents\pdf

Now, when I want to change to a folder in TCC or PowerShell, I do, for example;
Code:
utils:

Same command, different shells.

My PowerShell Profile contains several other functions that emulate what TCC does.

Joe