Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Documentation Consider expanding the docs for 'Everything' a bit

Dec
I've been trying to learn more about the Everything tool. I couldn't find a "restrict search for drive 'x'" option in the dialog that appears if you type "everything" without arguments.

Well, it's simple enough — restrict a search to drive D:

everything d:file-spec

And everything d:\file-spec also seems to work fine.

Please consider changing this in the documentation:

EVERYTHING [/C /D /E /F /M=n /O /P /R /S /W @file] filename [...]

to:

EVERYTHING [/C /D /E /F /M=n /O /P /R /S /W @file] [path]filename [...]

A couple of brief examples could be useful to someone who hasn't used Everything very much or at all.

The command everything /f *.docx locates all .DOCX files on all of your previously indexed drives.

The command everything /f c:*.docx locates all .DOCX files on drive C:, assuming it has been previously indexed.

Use a more complete path to restrict the search even further — for example
everything /f c:\MyFiles\*.docx.

Something like that.

It is even more so, because there is a command-line addin for everything (es.exe), which does different things. For example,

"es harrow .pdf " is how one might search for harrow01.pdf

I can't find es.exe on this system, but Everything commands when given at the command line behave as you describe. For example the command:

everything /f words.pdf

... locates the one copy of words.pdf that I have on this machine.

It is even more so, because there is a command-line addin for everything (es.exe), which does different things. For example,

"es harrow .pdf " is how one might search for harrow01.pdf
EVERYTHING will do that too.
Code:
v:\> es.exe words .pdf
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins\Annotations\Stamps\Words.pdf
H:\work\words01.pdf
V:\words01.pdf

v:\> everything "words .pdf"
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins\Annotations\Stamps\Words.pdf
H:\work\words01.pdf
V:\words01.pdf
Everything has a quite rich search language. Read about it here. [http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/searching/]
In the Everything search language, a space means AND. Since TCC's EVERYTHING command accepts a quoted search string, you can use much (maybe all) of Everything's syntax. I have not found an exception. As a more complicated example,
Code:
v:\> everything "file: %_cwds* datemodified:last3days parents:%@count[\,%_cwd]"
V:\es.exe
V:\randwalk.btm
The above searches for files in %_cwd that were modified in the last 3 days and which are not in subdirectories.
Here's another.
Code:
v:\> es.exe  "regex:v:\\[ab]#32:[0-9]"
V:\a 1.txt
V:\a 2.txt
V:\a 3.txt
V:\a 4.txt

Last edited:
Vince,

You can edit your message and just change the [title] to whatever you want...

Vince,

You can edit your message and just change the [title] to whatever you want...
Well I just tried it. I couldn't change "[title]" (it came back) but I could (and did) edit "title" but [ and ] remain. That's not how I used to do it. I have always entered the text (typically by pasting the link itself), selected that text , pushed the link button, and pasted the link in the dialog box. Are the brackets now required? Let me see if I can do that in the other order ...
[http://www.voidtools.com/support/everything/searching/]
OK, that worked but I had to use the brackets.

Back