Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Console Text Editors

I seem to recognize a lot of the names generating the recent activity on the page you linked, Joe.

I seem to recognize a lot of the names generating the recent activity on the page you linked, Joe.

Indeed!

@w_krieger mentioned the React OS Edit Program, which I think is the FreeDos Edit for Win32 Program. I downloaded the program, but it just hangs. The File command says;
Code:
c:\users\jlc\utils>file edit.exe
edit.exe: PE32 executable (console) Intel 80386 (stripped to external PDB), for MS Windows
so it is a Win32 program.

Wendy, is this the same program you were talking about?

Joe

You have to be careful about console-mode proggies, as to whether they run under things like tc (take command tab window), tci (v8 of the tab interface), or simply tcc (4nt etc), and whether you can actually use the menus etc (rather than having the tab interface hijack it. (It probably needs a menu item to pass an ALT through to the console.)

The tests are done under Win32 7 (6.1.7601 sp1), with take command 23.00.17 and 4nt/tc32/tci 8.01

EDIT 0.82 is indeed the freedos edit for Win32. The link by Joe Caverly is more recent than the one on file, they appear to have fixed some of the bugs. It runs in the TCC console, but does not like the consoles provided by TCI (tab-console-interface v8), or TC (take-command v23). But TCC (v23) and 4NT (8.01) handle it nicely. My reference copy is edit 0.7, so they fixed a few bugs in it.

EDIT runs fine under TCC, but it won't run out of the archive. Copy it to some directory and run it there. I tried it under Win32 6.1 (Win7), and Win64 6.3 (Win 8.1)

E32 4.40 is the console version of the semware editor. It shares many files with G32, the gui version, but runs in a console. It resises the console, but happily runs in the consoles given by TCI and TC. Shareware.

VIM 0.74 runs in tc and tci consoles, in tc it runs full screen.

HT runs in a tci window, and i imagine a tcc window.

FTE did not like tci,

TDEW (thompson-davis Editor Windows), runs fine in a tci session.

Edit, E32, ht, fte and tdew run in a Powershell prompt also.

Last edited:
You have to be careful about console-mode proggies, as to whether they run under things like tc (take command tab window), tci (v8 of the tab interface), or simply tcc (4nt etc), and whether you can actually use the menus etc (rather than having the tab interface hijack it. (It probably needs a menu item to pass an ALT through to the console.)

Thanks so much Wendy. I never even thought of Take Command being the problem. I detached a TCC window, and Edit.exe works as it should, although it's too small for my old eyes.

So, I fired up ConEmu, opened Edit.exe, and the size works fine for me. Disappointing that Edit.exe does not work in Take Command though.

As for the Alt key in Take Command, I have mine setup so that the Right alt key gives me access to Take Command, and the Left alt key gives me access to the application in the Take Command tabbed window.

1536508505566.png

Joe

I mainly use single consoles, set big enough for my tired eyes.

The windowing causes many problems with proggies that fit to console, like file commander, and a number of editors. The tab consoles are huge. But e32 sets its own wondow, as does edit. Right alt is the altgraphic key on international keyboards.

There are several implementations of TECO available on the net. Here's one: Tape Editor and COrector -- TECO!
My fingers have been typing TECO commands for over 4 decades, so I use it whenever I get confused by modern editors.
TECO is not WYSIWYG; it's a console program.

There are several implementations of TECO available on the net. Here's one: Tape Editor and COrector -- TECO!
My fingers have been typing TECO commands for over 4 decades, so I use it whenever I get confused by modern editors.
TECO is not WYSIWYG; it's a console program.
<grin> I've had Almy's TECO port for a long time. IIRC, he also has a build for Linux.

Alas, it doesn't support video TECO, and you can't use it to resurrect Richard M. Stallman's original Editing MACroS under ITS at MIT's AI labs that is the ancestor of current Emacs. :-P

Stallman and Guy Steele - mostly Stallman - collected the spate of TECO macros people at the AI labs had written, merged them and gave them a unified syntax, and released the result as EMACS. It became what everyone at the labs used, and Stallman commented back when that he realized how successful he had been when he no longer remembered how to do things in underlying TECO.

When TECO wnt away at ITS, Stallman rewrote Emacs with Lisp as the underlying language, and successor versions are what many folks use now.

(I know you are likely aware of this, Dave. The commentary is for those who aren't.)

This page talks of several Console Text Editors.

Some are Open Source, some are freeware, some are $
Another place to poke around on for still like this is TextEditors Wiki: HomePage. It's a wiki dedicated to text editors that is trying to document every text editor on any platform. (There are text editors for pocket calculators...) It's currently up to 1,928 entries.

My first text editor was a mainframe product, and "full screen editing" on mainframes where you move the cursor arounf the screen, make changes, and then send the modified screen back to the host is a very different animal than the asynchronous character at a time editing we think of. Next stop was vi on Unix, which was a rude shock till I understood the design assumptions and grew to like it. The stop after that was WordStar, which was a second editor you learned on a PC because your first choice wasn't available on the PC you were assigned to work on, but WS likely was.

I stayed fluent in WS commands because many other editors used the WS command set or could be told to. I had Gnu Emacs customized to use WS keystrokes to avoid retaining my fingers.

There are an assortment of things that run in a Windows console window, with the question being w=hether they insist on going full screen. (That's the last thing I want, so nothing that does gets used.)
________
Dennis

Back