Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Continue to have issues layout in v10

May
Hello everyone,

I continue to have issues with my choices for folder / list views and toolbars not being remembered between tcmd launches. This works great on my home machine but not on my work machine.

The Work machine is a member of the domain. I am an admin on the machine. With versions pior to v10 I had no issues on the same machine.

Prior to upgrading to v38, I wanted to start clean. I removed the old build , deleted the HKCU\software\jpsoft hive, and cleaned up the c:\program files\jpsoft directory. I think I"m now clean.

I installed the software without issue. When launched, I turn off the command window, folder and list views, as well as the explorer toolbar.
exit program. When launched (as admin), they reappear.

Any ideas? While this does not seem like that big of a deal, it's very very annoying.

Rex had mentioned previously that it's probably a permission thing, but I am an admin, can muck with the registry, and launch tcmd as admin. Not sure how rights could be a problem. I on vista 32bit.<v10 versions.="">

I even exported the HKCU\Software\JPSoft hive from the working machine and imported without issue on my work machine. The reg keys showed up, but the same thing happened.

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Michael

</v10>

Hello everyone,

I continue to have issues with my choices for folder / list views and toolbars not being remembered between tcmd launches. This works great on my home machine but not on my work machine.
<V10 versions.=""></V10>

Try running Take Command 9 on this computer, and arrange it the way you like. I'll bet that after configuring TC9 as desired, TC10 will suddenly start behaving as well.

Try running Take Command 9 on this computer, and arrange it the way you like. I'll bet that after configuring TC9 as desired, TC10 will suddenly start behaving as well.
Hello Charles. Thanks for the reply. I'd not thought of that. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot tonight.

Michael

Hello Charles. Thanks for the reply. I'd not thought of that. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but what the heck, I'll give it a shot tonight.

It didn't make a ton of sense to me either, when I was battering my head against the same problem. (Same build of TC10 on both machines, logged in to both as administrator, full read/write access to the relevant registry keys on both machines, one saves customizations and the other doesn't: what the flutzpah...?)

It didn't make a ton of sense to me either, when I was battering my head against the same problem. (Same build of TC10 on both machines, logged in to both as administrator, full read/write access to the relevant registry keys on both machines, one saves customizations and the other doesn't: what the flutzpah...?)
Well, it makes me feel good that I'm not alone.

So, here is what I did. I removed v10beta. Deleted the HKCU\Software\JPSoft entry. And removed the c:\program files\jpsoft directory.

I installed v9. Then immediately installed and started v10. Same issue. I then started v9 (I installed it but didn't start it before), turned off the views I didn't want, and exited. Restarted v9 and everything stayed off. Whoo hoo for v9.

I then started v10. Turned off the views I didn't want, and then exited. Started v10, and they stayed off. Whoo hoo^2

So, then the question to Rex is, why would this be happening. Why would v9 impact v10 like this? Anything I can do to help troubleshoot. This would be a pretty big bug to not correct prior to release.

Thanks Charles for the help.

Michael

frossm wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by Charles Dye)---
> It didn't make a ton of sense to me either, when I was battering my head against the same problem. (Same build of TC10 on both machines, logged in to both as administrator, full read/write access to the relevant registry keys on both machines, one saves customizations and the other doesn't: what the flutzpah...?)
> ---End Quote---
> Well, it makes me feel good that I'm not alone.
>
> So, here is what I did. I removed v10beta. Deleted the HKCU\Software\JPSoft entry. And removed the c:\program files\jpsoft directory.
>
> I installed v9. Then immediately installed and started v10. Same issue. I then started v9 (I installed it but didn't start it before), turned off the views I didn't want, and exited. Restarted v9 and everything stayed off. Whoo hoo for v9.

The save/restore code is exactly the same in v9 and v10.

> I then started v10. Turned off the views I didn't want, and then exited. Started v10, and they stayed off. Whoo hoo^2
>

> So, then the question to Rex is, why would this be happening. Why would v9 impact v10 like this? Anything I can do to help troubleshoot. This would be a pretty big bug to not correct prior to release.

V9 cannot impact v10 like that; they're using different registry keys.
If there's any correlation, it's going to mean a problem with the
Windows registry APIs.

Rex Conn
JP Software

frossm wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by Charles Dye)---
> It didn't make a ton of sense to me either, when I was battering my head against the same problem. (Same build of TC10 on both machines, logged in to both as administrator, full read/write access to the relevant registry keys on both machines, one saves customizations and the other doesn't: what the flutzpah...?)
> ---End Quote---
> Well, it makes me feel good that I'm not alone.
>
> So, here is what I did. I removed v10beta. Deleted the HKCU\Software\JPSoft entry. And removed the c:\program files\jpsoft directory.
>
> I installed v9. Then immediately installed and started v10. Same issue. I then started v9 (I installed it but didn't start it before), turned off the views I didn't want, and exited. Restarted v9 and everything stayed off. Whoo hoo for v9.
>
> I then started v10. Turned off the views I didn't want, and then exited. Started v10, and they stayed off. Whoo hoo^2
>
> So, then the question to Rex is, why would this be happening. Why would v9 impact v10 like this? Anything I can do to help troubleshoot. This would be a pretty big bug to not correct prior to release.

Still not reproducible here.

Can you look at the registry and see if you have a:

\HKCU\Software\JP Software\Take Command 10\Settings

tree (and in particular a "NormalLayout" key entry under Settings)?

Is Take Command saving its window position and size? Is Take Command
saving the toolbar and/or statusbar visibility?

Rex Conn
JP Software

frossm wrote:

My info might not be the best since it's now working. But yes, I have those keys.

The odd thing is that when I installed v9 and then v10, but did not start v9, I had the issues. The v10 TCMD would not remember my toolbar / view selections. But when I started and then exited v9, everything was ok in v10. Really strange.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm sure I had the settings there previously. My home machine had v9 and when I installed v10 it worked. At one point in troubleshooting, I exported the HKCU\Software\JPSoft key from the working system and imported that into the non working system. That did not help.

Is there anywhere else takecommand writes to in the registry that may be the issue? How could v9 in any way impact v10?

Regards,

Michael

frossm wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by rconn)---
> frossm wrote:
>
> Still not reproducible here.
>
> Can you look at the registry and see if you have a:
>
> \HKCU\Software\JP Software\Take Command 10\Settings
>
> tree (and in particular a "NormalLayout" key entry under Settings)?
>
> Is Take Command saving its window position and size? Is Take Command
> saving the toolbar and/or statusbar visibility?
> ---End Quote---
> My info might not be the best since it's now working. But yes, I have those keys.
>
> The odd thing is that when I installed v9 and then v10, but did not start v9, I had the issues. The v10 TCMD would not remember my toolbar / view selections. But when I started and then exited v9, everything was ok in v10. Really strange.

Was the window position and size being saved & restored?

Rex Conn
JP Software

frossm wrote:

Rex Conn
JP Software
This is by memory, but I believe that the windows position & size were saved. Charles, what did you see?

Michael