Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Copy a tree

Jul
If I have a folder tree and files on drive C that I want to copy over to, say, drive D and maintain the tree structure and file placements, ...how?

Regards,
Chuck Billow

COPYDIR is I think just in the latest version - version 18. What version do you have?

17. Also, I set up the command as

copy /s C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Bibliography D:\CriticalParts

And the error said the syntax was incorrect. How/why?

Regards,
Chuck

do you have copy aliased? How does

*copy /s C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Bibliography D:\CriticalParts

work?

It says

C:\>*copy /s C:\Users\CWBillow\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Bibliography D:\CriticalParts
'*copy' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

Are you sure it's running TCC and not CMD ? And does D:\CriticalParts exist and is it a folder/directory?

As am I! Now, the next question is, how do I hide it while it runs? I tried running it from a shortcut minimized, but that didn't do it.

Chuck

do you not want to see the command or the actual files being copied?

do you not want to see the command or the actual files being copied?

Initially, yes, I want o see it for verification. But once it is set up properly, I would want to set it up for a schedule time, say, every nite at 10pm via the task scheduler.

Especially now with Windows 10, I have had to set up things again several times, and tracking down all the "latest" pieces is a drag. If I just have them all in a backup folder, then I know just where and when they are and when put.

Chuck

With the problem of running the backup in TCMD/TCC .vs. CMD - you might likst to use:

IF 01==1 echo Running in TCMD

Of course you might want to abort the batch if you are running in CMD and not in TCMD / TCC

to hide the window - you can look at the WINDOW command
Code:
Format: WINDOW [ MAX | MIN | RESTORE | HIDE | TRAY | TOPMOST | NOTOPMOST | TOP | BOTTOM | DETACH | /POS=left,top,width,height | /SIZE=rows,columns | /TRANS=n | /FLASH=type,count | "newtitle"  ]

newtitle
A new title for the window
height
New height of window
width
New width of window
left
New position of the left border of window
New position of the top border window
rows
New height of window
columns

type

count
New width of window

Type of window flash

Number of times to flash the window

/FLASH /SIZE (of screen buffer)

/POS(ition)

The WINDOW HIDE command is near exactly what I want. It flashes at the beginning, so it's not entirely hidden, but it works.

Thanks Charles.

Regards,
Chuck