Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Crash with Console2 under Windows 8

Nov
Hi,

I used TCCLE with Console2 under Windows 7 x64 for a long time and love it.
I have just setup a Window 8 x64 Pro and wanted to use TCC in Console again.

But TCC instantly crashing, when running under Console.
Note: This only happens to the x64 version of both, the x86 ones working just fine together.

Maybe it's the fault of Console, but I thought should report it here.

Thanks
Jack

The crash is in Console2's code, which it is injecting into the TCC/LE process. (The crash occurs before any TCC/LE code is even called.)

This is IMO a horrifically bad idea, and one that is (1) almost never necessary, and (2) apt to trash other people's apps. The only advantage is that it shifts the blame from the bad app to an innocent third-party app. :banghead:

Take Command (which is vastly more complex and much faster than Console2) doesn't need to do this.

Thank you for the fast answer reconn.

Sorry for making this fully wrong bug report.

BTW: I don't see Console as replacement for tcc, just as an optical improvment.

BTW: I don't see Console as replacement for tcc, just as an optical improvment.

If Take Command didn't exist, Console2 would be a useful (though not great) optical improvement for TCC/LE. Other than being free -- admittedly a curiously strong motivator for a lot of people -- Console2 doesn't seem to offer any benefits compared to Take Command. (See my comparison at http://jpsoft.com/blogs/2012/03/win...part-2-take-command-and-console-aka-console2/.)

If any Console2 users want to jump in here with some reasons for using Console2 (other than that free part!), I'd be very interested in hearing them. And maybe incorporating them in the next version of Take Command! :)

If any Console2 users want to jump in here with some reasons for using Console2 (other than that free part!), I'd be very interested in hearing them. And maybe incorporating them in the next version of Take Command! :)

Well, I have a complaint about Console2 -- the way it prevents console programs from opening popup windows -- but I don't suppose you're the right guy to address it to!

If any Console2 users want to jump in here with some reasons for using Console2 (other than that free part!), I'd be very interested in hearing them.
When I use a command shell, I want to use a command shell – or may be two or more. So a tabbed interface might be useful at times. Some transparency might be nice eyecandy. (Console2 delivers.)

What I don't want in that situation is a folder tree, are toolbar buttons, search fields and status bars eating up screen real estate. Refraining from heavily customizing TakeCommand-GUI, I stick to TCC and my keyboard. ;)

"Heavily customizing" in that case would be about 3-4 mouse clicks (one time) to turn off everything you don't want. You'd still have the tabbed windows, and apps running in the tabbed windows will display output twice as fast as Console2 or the Windows console. (Not to mention the vastly superior cut & paste options.)

Who said you couldn't teach new tricks to old dogs. So you brought myself to try working in the TakeCommand UI, Explorer toolbar off, folder and files views off or autohide.

You almost have me, because I like it.

What still might let me abstain from changing my workflow is the rather long startup time (on my machine – who wondered); while recognizing that this ∆t doesn't occur for further, subsequent shells. The folder tree seems to be built up even if its view is not only hidden, but disabled. That will make up or add to startup time substantially.

And a cosmetic issue is the mostly unused main menu and space beside or below the auto-show triggers for folder/file view. A main menu designed like the browser button in any modern browser might be an idea. Regarding the auto hide/show triggers I recognize the conflict between an easy to hit target and one not taking up too much space.

So adhering to the sub-topic: Console2 makes a slimmer visual impression that might tease you to use it (you might end up using plain TCC/… anyway because of slow display output etc, though).

Back