Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Debugger also stops at non-breakpoints

Nov
After I switched from v24 to v28 I encounter the following problem while debugging: The debugger also stops at non-breakpoints.
  • In the main batch file I debug
  • In sub-patch files which are called from the main batch files
I did not set any breakpoints on those positions where the debugger stops.

What can I do? This behaviour is irritating as I have to press "goto next breakpoint" several times before it stops at the "real" breakpoint.

Thanks - Michael

BTW: TC-Debugger ist a great tool: It has helped me enormously in ironing my bunch of batch procedures!

Thanks, but my "system" is bunch of huge batch scripts: I'll minimze these, test with these minimized scripts und post these as example if my test shows the same result. Please give me a day for this.

I wonder:
  • Why did it work with v24?

• One speciality is that these batch scripts are calling Powershell (command and scripts). Might thsi the reason for problem? I'll include this in my minimized version.
Michael

Here is my minimized example - Please:
  • Unzip it to any directory
  • TakeCommand | Debug
  • Set breakpoint at line 27 (exit /b 0)
  • Start debug
  • Execute to breakpoint
  • The debugger stops at line 11 (directly after calling settings_SPS.bat - Is callinf externel scrips the problem?)
Thanks for your efforts - Michael

Attachments

• Test_PS.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 122
Your daily.bat.bp (breakpoint file) has breakpoints defined at lines 10 and 27. So I would expect it to stop at the CALL. Doing a "run to breakpoint or end" will then do the CALL, and break again at the end of the called batch file. (WAD - it is the end of that batch file!) Pressing "run to breakpoint or end" again takes you to line 27, as expected.

I have/see no breakpoint at line 10 (also not in the bp-file):
tc.jpg

I also retested the version I sent to you and TC-Debug behaves like desribed on 5:09.

Whats' wrong? Is the breakpoint a line 10 automatically created in your configuration?

Thanks - Michael

PS: I currently use and test with v28 (latest install kit): Should I stay with this version or should I switch back to "old" v24? Preferrably I do my very best to get v28 working for my needs: Debugging a huge batch-based script-system which I also ditribute to customers (who will not have TC).

Last edited:
Thanks: The behaviour of v28-debug now is more clear for me: The debugger stops automatically stops (sets "virtual" breakpoints) after each call of an "external" aubroutine.

This makes sense in many cases but for my bunch of calls it's a little bit exhausting as I have to press "goto next breakpoint" several times after each call until I come to the "real" breakpoint. v24 did not set these "virtual" breakpoints: Do you see any chance to configure this behaviour?

Michael

I have/see no breakpoint at line 10 (also not in the bp-file):
View attachment 3751
I also retested the version I sent to you and TC-Debug behaves like desribed on 5:09.

Whats' wrong? Is the breakpoint a line 10 automatically created in your configuration?

The daily.bat.bp file you sent me contains:

Code:

which results in a breakpoint being set for lines 10 & 27.

Thanks: The behaviour of v28-debug now is more clear for me: The debugger stops automatically stops (sets "virtual" breakpoints) after each call of an "external" aubroutine.

This makes sense in many cases but for my bunch of calls it's a little bit exhausting as I have to press "goto next breakpoint" several times after each call until I come to the "real" breakpoint. v24 did not set these "virtual" breakpoints: Do you see any chance to configure this behaviour?

You can post a request to the Suggestions forum. (However, the behavior was changed a while back because a number of users wanted the current behavior.)

Sorry for confusion: This obviously was an old bp. If I test only with bp = 27,1,0,0, it results on the above desribed behaviour:

The behaviour of v28-debug now is more clear for me: The debugger stops automatically stops (sets "virtual" breakpoints) after each call of an "external" aubroutine.