Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

DebugMonitor - More mystical than magnets?

Sep
OK. I'm stumped. I had assumed from the name and (currently) sparse documentation that DebugMonitor was basically a command line version of DebugView's basic functionality. Basically a 'tail /f' for the reading the OutputDebugString() API.

Could I get a little help? I can't quiet intuit the usage or what it's for. It seems to let me register or clear commands. Maybe those commands get run with stdin set to the outputdebugstring content? Once I realized I didn't know what was going on, I didn't want to gen any debug string info as I really wasn't sure what would happen.

I see the _OutputDebugString variable getting set properly. However, I think the function does not execute as it is documented.
For instance, what is the condition that gets triggered?

DEBUGMONITOR n command​

n Number of repetitions (or FOREVER)​
command
Command to execute when condition is triggered

I see the _OutputDebugString variable getting set properly. However, I think the function does not execute as it is documented.
For instance, what is the condition that gets triggered?

Ya know - lame as it may be, I think what I really want is a device 'DBG:' that is like 'clip:' except reading reads the debugoutputstring data (typically blocking), and writing to it generates OutputDebugString() calls. Then I could just use it with tail/f and whatever other tools I'm used to.

Hi,
I am using;

Code:
TCC  14.00.16  Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
TCC Build 16  Windows XP Build 2600  Service Pack 3

I wrote a test program in PowerBASIC, TEST.EXE, thus;

Code:
#COMPILE EXE
#DIM ALL
#INCLUDE "WIN32API.INC"

FUNCTION PBMAIN () AS LONG
  OutputDebugString("JLC")
END FUNCTION

If I do,

Code:
debugmonitor FOREVER msgbox OK TCC

then execute,

Code:
test.exe & echo %_outputdebugstring

I get;

Code:
JLC

but the msgbox does not display. I really do not need any command to execute when the condition is triggered, though, so in my case the msgbox is just filler.

I used to use the DBWin32.exe program to monitor OutputDebugString(), and may still use it, but Debugmonitor seems to eliminate the need for that program now.

Joe

OK. I'm stumped. I had assumed from the name and (currently) sparse documentation that DebugMonitor was basically a command line version of DebugView's basic functionality. Basically a 'tail /f' for the reading the OutputDebugString() API.

There's a typo in the DEBUGMONITOR code, so it wasn't setting the flag that would enable executing the specified command. (But _outputdebugstring *was* being set correctly.)

It's been fixed for build 17.

There's a typo in the DEBUGMONITOR code ... It's been fixed for build 17.

Hi Rex - sorry to keep bugging you. Is there a way I would use DebugMonitor in a 'tail /f' scenario where I just want to block and dump the channel? I'm assuming it I just tied to to 'echo' it would be async and dumping info in the middle of my session?

I feel like I'm just not 'getting it'.

Hi Rex - sorry to keep bugging you. Is there a way I would use DebugMonitor in a 'tail /f' scenario where I just want to block and dump the channel? I'm assuming it I just tied to to 'echo' it would be async and dumping info in the middle of my session?

Start a new session (tab window). You'll get the same results if you're blocking in one window, versus non-blocking in two but the second one is only displaying DEBUGMONITOR output.