Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD DEL *.htm

Feb
Good that I did a /N:

Code:
>del /N *.htm
Lösche …\blank.htm
Lösche …\blank.html
Lösche …\index.htm
Lösche …\index.html
Lösche …\toc.htm
Lösche …\toc.html
6 Dateien werden gelöscht

I noticed this behaviour before. Has anybody got an explanation? And how do I delete the *.htm files without loosing the *.html files.

SFN's can cause problems and aren't needed nowadays unless you're running legacy DOS programs. You can disable short file names from the TCC prompt:

>fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 1

You can later re-enable them by using a 0 instead of 1.

You must have admin privileges and you have to reboot for the change to take effect. Existing SFN's will remain until a directory or file is renamed or moved.

I've been running without SFN's since WinXP and never had a problem.

SFN's can cause problems and aren't needed nowadays unless you're running legacy DOS programs.

However, when using TCC, you can leave the "Search for SFNs" option unchecked (very first option on the right side of the option dialog), and not worry about it - the behavior is the same as when you disable them in NTFS, BUT if you need them for an old program, they are there. I use some old programs, so that is my practice, and it never bit me yet.

However, when using TCC, you can leave the "Search for SFNs" option unchecked (very first option on the right side of the option dialog), and not worry about it - the behavior is the same as when you disable them in NTFS, BUT if you need them for an old program, they are there. I use some old programs, so that is my practice, and it never bit me yet.

That's true; that's why I mentioned legacy programs. If you're running a 64-bit operating system, as I am, none of those old programs will run anyway.

The advantage of eliminating SFN's is that they take up directory space and in directories with lots of files they can slow down directory access. Microsoft suggested disabling 8+3 to speed up windows in one of their technical notes back in the XP days. That's how I knew about it.

SFN's can cause problems and aren't needed nowadays unless you're running legacy DOS programs.

In Germany we have yet one more problem: Programs are installed in C:\Program Files — note the space — and then is is sometimes helpful to have C:\Progra~1 available. Still I might consider it.

In Germany we have yet one more problem: Programs are installed in C:\Program Files — note the space — and then is is sometimes helpful to have C:\Progra~1 available. Still I might consider it.

That's no problem because the SFNs created during installation remain. In fact, all existing SFN's remain until a file or directory is renamed or moved. That's not going to happen for system directories. Of course, if problems occur SFN's can be re-enabled.