DESKTOP

• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
I wish you would ...

1. Allow for creating a desktop without switching to it

2. Allow for creating a desktop without running Explorer on it ... possibly run some other program (or collection of programs)

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
I wish you would ...

1. Allow for creating a desktop without switching to it
I could do that ...

2. Allow for creating a desktop without running Explorer on it ... possibly run some other program (or collection of programs)
I cannot do that -- unless you want to create a blank desktop that has no icons and no way to run anything.

I could do that ...

I cannot do that -- unless you want to create a blank desktop that has no icons and no way to run anything.
Then force the user to specify **something** to be run. If he's dumb enough to specify something that won't let him do anything else, he can always C-A-D-Logoff! There are a number of apps that could let the user do darn near anything ... TCC ... TaskMgr ... PowerPro.

... TCMD (?).

I'm not real keen on the idea of sending the user someplace from whence he potentially can never return to his original desktop ...
It's not so bad. I've done it a few times. How 'bout you make starting Explorer the default so the user must go out of his way to do otherwise (plus a caveat in a large red font in the help file)?

And if you didn't automatically switch to a new desktop (and fix START /DESKTOP) there'd be less of a problem. I'd probably make an alternate desktop in my logon script.

It's not so bad. I've done it a few times. How 'bout you make starting Explorer the default so the user must go out of his way to do otherwise (plus a caveat in a large red font in the help file)?

And if you didn't automatically switch to a new desktop (and fix START /DESKTOP) there'd be less of a problem. I'd probably make an alternate desktop in my logon script.
... or give the user the opportunity to specify the "shell" for a new desktop, e.g.,
Code:
DESKTOP /C /SHELL=g:\tc14\tcmd.exe [/ACTIVATE]
If he doesn't specify a shell, he gets Explorer.