Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Doing math with TCC

Jul
Hello,
Can someone tell me how to do simple math with TCC? I need to divide the height versus the width of PDF files, which I get from a "pdfinfo" utility. I need that ratio so that I can use it to make SVG files from the PDFs, at particular sizes.

Thanks,
Peter

One way is to use the %@EVAL function:
Code:
set aspect=%@eval[%height / %width]

Or you can use SET /A, which works much like in CMD.EXE but without the octal support biting you at odd moments:
Code:
set /a aspect=%height / %width

Thanks.
One way is to use the %@EVAL function:
Code:
set aspect=%@eval[%height / %width]

Or you can use SET /A, which works much like in CMD.EXE but without the octal support biting you at odd moments:
Code:
set /a aspect=%height / %width

Thanks. Yeh, I've tried the "set /a" stuff in the command shell, but, it doesn't support floating numbers. I'll play with the eval thing. Thanks again!

CMD may not, but TCC's SET /A supports floats.
Code:
v:\> set /a float=8/3

v:\> set /a float*=.5
@EVAL just works better.
Code:
v:\> echo %@eval[8/3 * .5]

Code:

@EVAL just works better.
Code:
Code:

@EVAL just works better.
Code:

Thanks. Yeh, I got %@eval to work for me.
Cheers.

Code:

@EVAL just works better.
Code:

Is it really any different?
Code:
C:\>set /a float=8 / 3 * .5

C:\>

It's probably the same engine under the hood. Rex isn't one to write two different routines to accomplish the same task.

Thanks. Yeh, I've tried the "set /a" stuff in the command shell, but, it doesn't support floating numbers.

Either I'd forgotten that, or I never knew it in the first place. In TCC, it does support floating point.

pb4072, @EVAL lets you do some pretty advanced math as well. It supports exponentiation, bit-manipulation operations, logarithms, trigonometric functions, etc., etc. Want to know what pi is out to 15,000 decimal places? It's got that covered. It's really quite a powerful function should you ever need any of those facilities.

If I have any (very minor) gripe about it, it's that it has no particularly straightforward way to compute roots but I figured out how to get it to do those, too. You can do that by raising a number to the power of the reciprocal of the root you're trying to find. E.g., to find the cube root of n, use @EVAL[n**(1/3)].

pb4072, @EVAL lets you do some pretty advanced math as well. It supports exponentiation, bit-manipulation operations, logarithms, trigonometric functions, etc., etc. Want to know what pi is out to 15,000 decimal places? It's got that covered. It's really quite a powerful function should you ever need any of those facilities.

If I have any (very minor) gripe about it, it's that it has no particularly straightforward way to compute roots but I figured out how to get it to do those, too. You can do that by raising a number to the power of the reciprocal of the root you're trying to find. E.g., to find the cube root of n, use @EVAL[n**(1/3)].

You *could* create functions to do that if you need it often.
Code:
function SQR=`%@eval[%1 ** 0.5]`
function ROOTn=`%@eval[%1 ** (1/%2)]`
function Root=`%@eval[10**(log10(%1)/%2)]`

echo Square root of 2=%@SQR[2],^ncubed root of 2=%@ROOTn[2,3]^nanother cubed root=%@Root[2,3]  

echo %@eval[ 2 * %@sqr[2]]

You don't even need to call %EVAL if you know you'll be in @EVAL anyway.
Code:
v:\> function root `(%1**(1/%2))`

v:\> echo %@root[8,3]
(8**(1/3))

v:\> echo %@eval[%@root[8,3]]