Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Dynamic" icons

Aug
(like the Recycle Bin has)

This post might be of some interest for some people who want to
- create shortcuts with icons that represent the current state (sort of the way widgets work) or
- Enhance Internet security

Starting with the second one, Enhance Internet security

I wanted to get rid of all those "phone home" applications that want to upload telemetrics, open websites after installation or do "evil things". The way I did this:

- Make Internet Explorer /Edge the default browser (I'm using Firefox for browsing, but IE is set as the default browser)

- Configure a dummy, non-existing proxy. Mine is called "DoodSpoor" (which roughly translates to "Dead End").
This is a non-existing proxy, so any application that wants to "phone home" retrieves the default browser settings and then uses the "Doodspoor" proxy to do this. Of course this will not succeed.

- Create exceptions. Otherwise for example Windows Update or Take Command will fail in some or all aspects.
Most internet aware applications have their own configuration options to set (or unset) a proxy.
Other applications can be added to the Internet settings Exception list, like this:

2017-01-17 18_39_43-Internet Properties.png

And that's about it.

If for some reason you want to disable the proxy ( for example for testing or to allow traffic temporarily) you can untick the “Use a proxy server ...” setting in the LAN settings dialog box.

One thing to keep in mind: URL's outside the browser can no longer be double-clicked as it will use the default browser (IE/Edge). Instead drag the URL to your browser(icon) to open it in Chrome/Firefox/....

Create shortcuts with icons that represent the current state

Way too often I forgot to re-enable the proxy after testing, so I was looking for a way to show an icon on the desktop to display the current state of the proxy, just like the Recycle Bin does: it’s icons changes, depending on the empty/full state.
This mechanism turned out to be quite complicated, so I opted for a simpler approach:

– Create a shortcut on the desktop to start DoodSpoor.btm
– Upon starting this btm the current state of the proxy is read from the registry.
– The flipped state (on := off ; off := on) will be written to the registry
– The icon of the shortcut will be changed to match the new state of the proxy.

It is not dynamic in a litteral way, but for this case dynamic enough (this is the only place where I change these proxy settings).
Of course it can be made more dynamic if you have a .btm that keeps reading a state (for example of connection to a certain server or diskusage > 90%). This is just an example.

The code:
DoodSpoor.btm
Code:
@echo off
setlocal

set REGKEY=HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ProxyEnable
set PROXY=%@regquery["%REGKEY%"]

SWITCH %PROXY%
CASE 0
echo %@regset["%REGKEY%",REG_DWORD,1]
SHORTCUT "%_batchname" "" "" "Proxy aan/uit" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\DoodSpoor.lnk" 1 "C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll" 101
CASE 1
echo %@regset["%REGKEY%",REG_DWORD,0]
SHORTCUT "%_batchname" "" "" "Proxy aan/uit" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\DoodSpoor.lnk" 1 "C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll" 100
SHORTCUT "%_batchname" "" "" "Proxy aan/uit" "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\DoodSpoor.lnk" 1 "C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll" 102
ENDSWITCH
EXIT
(Sorry for the missing indentation; don't know what went wrong here)

Results:
Proxy Enabled:
2017-01-18 01_20_04-.png

Proxy Disabled:

2017-01-18 01_20_36-.png

Proxy state unknown:
2017-01-18 01_21_08-.png

Back