Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Enumshares works sometimes

Aug
It must be my day for problems. I just posted about an issue with enumservers, and now I'm seeing weirdness from enumshares as well. If I ask it to enumerate the shares of my machine named Ancalagon, here's what I get:

enumshares /a \\Ancalagon\*
\\Ancalagon\ADMIN$
\\Ancalagon\C$
\\Ancalagon\D$
\\Ancalagon\F$

But if I ask it to enumerate the shares of my machine named Tirion, here's what I get:

enumshares /a \\Tirion\*
TCC: (Sys) The format of the specified share name is invalid.
"\\Tirion\*"

Both machines are running the same version of Windows (10 Pro x64 with all the latest updates). Both machines have network shares visible. Yet the enumshares command works for the first machine but not the second. Any ideas?

Are you sure Tirion can be found? That's the error I get if I specify a server that doesn't exist.

Code:
v:\> enumshares /a \\no_exist\*
 "\\no_exist\*"

Yup. I can easily access all its shares from that very machine on which I'm running the enumshares command that's failing too. Here's a ping to demonstrate:

ping /4 tirion

Pinging tirion.attlocal.net [192.168.1.76] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.76: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.76: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.76: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.1.76: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=128

The machine is on the network and accessible in every respect. Why the enumshares works for the one but fails for the other is a mystery to me.

Same here. enumservers returns no servers, enumshares says it can't find it. Here's me switching to a share and then enumshares telling me it can't even find the server it has as the current directory.

231G C:\Users\jbelli# \\engineering\downloads\

140G \\engineering\downloads# enumshares \\engineering
"\\engineering"

140G \\engineering\downloads#

Same here. enumservers returns no servers, enumshares says it can't find it. Here's me switching to a share and then enumshares telling me it can't even find the server it has as the current directory.

231G C:\Users\jbelli# \\engineering\downloads\

140G \\engineering\downloads# enumshares \\engineering
"\\engineering"

140G \\engineering\downloads#

Still broken here for me on multiple machines. Some support or a fix would be nice.

You may need to log on to the target machine before ENUMSHARES will work.

Rex: Here's a feature suggestion I truly don't care about, for a command ditto:

Add options /L:user and /LP:password to ENUMSHARES. If both are specified, map \\target\IPC$ before enumerating shares and unmap it afterwords. If /L:user is specified but the password is '*' or missing, prompt the user for a password, then proceed as above.

You may need to log on to the target machine before ENUMSHARES will work.

Rex: Here's a feature suggestion I truly don't care about, for a command ditto:

Add options /L:user and /LP:password to ENUMSHARES. If both are specified, map \\target\IPC$ before enumerating shares and unmap it afterwords. If /L:user is specified but the password is '*' or missing, prompt the user for a password, then proceed as above.

For the record, repeating the test right now, I am logged on to both of the same two machines using the same account name. My main machine (Ancalagon) is even connected to network shares hosted by the other machine (Tirion). And yet when I ask TakeCommand to enumerate shares, it gives me the same error message. I'm as logged on as I know how to be.

I'd be trying to figure out how the two machings differ (OS, services, ...) and whether that matters.

I'd be trying to figure out how the two machings differ (OS, services, ...) and whether that matters.

Both running Windows 10 x64 Pro with all the latest updates. As to services, all the networking is configured the same. I'm not sure which other services might be relevant. Any suggestions?

Both running Windows 10 x64 Pro with all the latest updates. As to services, all the networking is configured the same. I'm not sure which other services might be relevant. Any suggestions?
No specific suggestions. You can get easy-to-compare (?) lists of the running services on each machine with this command.

Code:
wmiquery /a . "Select DisplayName from Win32_service where Started='True'" | sort

Try this. It's quite similar to "ENUMSHARES /A". By example ...

Code:
d:\tc26> net view /all \\zz
Shared resources at \\zz

Share name  Type   Used as  Comment

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADMIN$      Disk            Remote Admin
C$          Disk            Default share
E$          Disk            Default share
F$          Disk            Default share
G$          Disk            Default share
H$          Disk            Default share
HP$         Print           HP LaserJet 1020
I$          Disk            Default share
IPC$        IPC             Remote IPC
J$          Disk            Default share
K$          Disk            Default share
L$          Disk            Default share
P$          Disk            Default share
print$      Disk            Printer Drivers
S$          Disk            Default share
T$          Disk            Default share
U$          Disk            Default share
Users       Disk
V$          Disk            Default share
The command completed successfully.

Funny! I just saw this:

Code:
[ATTACH type="full"]2996[/ATTACH]
1595080618953.png

The new view command (thanks for that tip, vefatica!) works correctly and lists all the shares available. I've generated lists of services as suggested, and while there are differences none of them stand out to me as problematic. All the network services are the same, for example. Any suggestions as to what I should be seeking in that list?

Coming back to this thread almost a year later, I can provide an interesting update. The ENUMSERVERS command still fails miserably, everywhere (i.e., on every network I try), always failing to return any names. However, the ENUMSHARES command now seems to work. I don't know if that's a TakeCommand thing or a Windows thing. Any hope that ENUMSERVERS may someday work?

P.S. The ver /r command returns the following in case that's helpful:

TCC 27.01.23 x64 Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19042.985]
TCC Build 23 Windows 10 Build 19042