1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Error 0xc0000142 and FAR Manager

Discussion in 'Support' started by DimmY, May 22, 2017.

1. DimmY

Periodically (but regularly) error 0xc0000142 occurs when calling tcc.exe from the FAR Manager. It happens in the following way: everything is working fine, but after a while (especially after the computer exits sleep mode), this error occurs when trying to execute any program from FAR Manager. This issue exists for a long time - at least with four last versions of TCC.
    How can I fix this very annoying issue?

2. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying -- is it that TCC (and only TCC) has problems being started from FAR manager, or that all programs have the same problem?

A 0xc0000142 error comes from the Windows loader; the app itself is never started.

3. DimmY

FAR Manager calls command interpreter to run external and most internal commands. I have TCC installed as default command interpreter. And sometimes the issue above occurs. To get rid of the problem, I have to close the FAR Manager and run it again. It's easy, but annoying.

4. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

If it works when you restart FAR Manager, that sounds more like a FAR Manager (or Windows) issue than a TCC one.

5. DimmY

That's the answer I expected and feared.

6. Christian Albaret

If you don't need TCC's features, you can change FAR's COMSPEC to point to CMD (through a batch file with SETLOCAL + SET + FAR, batch file itself called from an alias or from a shortcut). I use this technique for a few programs.
    Not applicable if you want TCC's features when executing from FAR.

7. DimmY

If I did not need TCC functions, I would not ask this question. :)

8. Christian Albaret

One trick could be to have FAR spawn CMD, and have CMD call TCC — but you would have to somehow change the command issued by FAR.

9. DimmY

You are talking in riddles. How should I change the command?

10. Christian Albaret

I don't use FAR and thus don't know directly. Since FAR is widely used, it should be configurable in some way. Looking at http://farmanager.com/, I see "greatly extended by external DLL modules — plugins" (though writing a DLL is probably overkill just for passing a command from CMD to TCMD) (it could be that is type of extension is based on the type of the file, which is not what matters here). A simple but repetitive way is maybe to prefix command with something like TC, and TC.BAT is a script that passes the command over to TCC.

11. DimmY

Christian Albaret, sorry, but your advice is useless.