Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Everything Tool Not Working After Version 20 Installation

Aug
I just updated to Version 20. The Everything program was working fine before then, but now when it comes up and I type something into the search box no results are returned. Has something changed? Or am I doing something wrong? I am simply running Everything.exe in C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD20.

Thank you,
Jesse Heines

Same result here (no result, that is). I've tried running Everything at the command line, and via the dialog box. Type the criteria and start the search — and nothing happens. I still have my v.19 installation and with both it and v.20 installed, Everything fails in both environments. It did work when I had only v.19 installed.

Just to underscore MikeA's point, what he describes is precisely what's happening on my system, too. "Everything fails in both environments."

I believe that in v20 - you have to double check that the drives are selected to be index then force a rebuild, then it will work as v19 did.

The new install uninstalled the old version and so deleted the database and configuration. You need to open the dialog (EVERYTHING /O) and recheck the drives you want included as well as any other settings you may have made. On my system, it takes 15-20 seconds to rebuild the database of close to 2 million files.

The new install uninstalled the old version and so deleted the database and configuration. You need to open the dialog (EVERYTHING /O) and recheck the drives you want included as well as any other settings you may have made. On my system, it takes 15-20 seconds to rebuild the database of close to 2 million files.

As I had more or less had said.........

Thanks, guys. This still took me a little while to figure out, so here are a few clarifications for future readers of this thread...

(1) Type "everything /o" at the TakeCommand command line (as Scott stated) to open the Everything Options dialog box that you need to reindex the drives. You may also get to this dialog box by running the Everything.exe program itself (everything /e) and selecting Tools > Options.

(2) In the Everything Options dialog box, under Indexes, click NTFS. There you will see all your "Local NTFS volumes" listed.

(3) Select each volume in turn and check the "Include in database" checkbox for each one you wish to include in your searches.

(4) Once you have included all desired volumes, click the Apply button. The Xs in the upper right-hand corners of the dialog box and the main Everything window turn red while indexing is taking place, and the mouse cursor changes to a "busy" icon when your mouse is over either window. When indexing finishes, the Xs and cursor return to normal.

Note: I have 1.8 million files on the main drive on my system, but they're spread over four physical drives in RAID format. I also have two Western Digital 2 GB Passport USB drives attached, with about 400K files on each. It took about 2 minutes to complete the indexing of these three drives. I suspect that my time was longer than Scott's because the USB drives are obviously slower than my main drives.​

(5) Click OK to close the Everything Options dialog box and searching should then work properly.

Again, thank you to Charles and Scott for pointing me in the right direction. I'm a happy camper again. :)

Jesse

Last edited:
Jesse Heines: thanks very much for this information.

JP Software: it would really be worth having information about this in the online help. This turns out to be a fairly simple fix but appeared baffling at first. When a program simply appears to quit without any response, a user not already familiar with the program is left in head-scratching mode. Drives not indexed — run 'everything /o' or the like would sure help. I suppose that's up to Everything's author...

The short procedure list Jesse wrote in this thread would be sufficient. Please consider adding a short help topic with a title such as "Troubleshooting Everything Search" containing the above procedure list. The topic would appear if you do a search for "everything" within the TC/TCC help system.

Last edited:
Thank you, Mike A. One small correction to my previous post: it is true that on my system, typing "everything /o" opened the Command Line Options dialog box rather than the Everything Options dialog box, but that was because I had an "ev" alias that was interfering with the everything command. After I removed that alias, typing "everything /o" opened the Everything Options dialog box as Scott said. I have therefore updated my previous post.