Extended directory search - cure by renaming tcmd.ini

As previously, Extended Directory Search decided to stop working. I was able to cure the problem by renaming tcmd.ini to something else. I notice that there is also a file called updater.ini in the same directory. I am uploading the renamed INI file here - what is wrong with it?

Regards

_John Sampson_

Attachments

Charles Dye

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 20, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
prospero.unm.edu
I doubt there's anything wrong with your .INI file; the problem probably lies in your JPSTREE.IDX file. I'd try deleting that instead, then recreating it with CDD /NJ /S dir dir dir.... specifying only the locations you really want to index, not your entire hard drive.

rconn

Administrator
Staff member
May 14, 2008
As previously, Extended Directory Search decided to stop working. I was able to cure the problem by renaming tcmd.ini to something else. I notice that there is also a file called updater.ini in the same directory. I am uploading the renamed INI file here - what is wrong with it?
Do you have a dual monitor display with the primary monitor on the right? (You've configured your popup CDD window to position its left edge at pixel -1260.)

There is always a file called updater.ini; it's used by the autoupdater.

In Version 18, Extended Directory Search went wrong as it has done previously, failing to find any folders. I deleted jpstree.idx and it worked again. Why does jpstree.idx prevent Extended Directory Search from working? Where is the index hidden?

You can find he path either by

echo %@option[TreePath]

or

Option -> Command Line tab, Extended Directory Search > Path.

I have not found the "Everything Search" checkbox. But I have made "Extended Directory Search" work. The Command Line tab from Options | TCC has a box labelled "Path:" which is empty. Entering the path to jpstree.idx which I found using another product solved the problem. In my case the path was "C:\Users\User\Appdata\Local\JPSoft"

Replying to myself - wrote too soon. Extended Directory Search not working now after Windows reboot. Path still appears where I typed it. jpstree.idx still exists. EDS seems temperamental.

Jan 13, 2013
I'm going to update this thread by replying. extended directory search has stopped for me, also.

win 10 64-bit
tcmd 20.00.14 64-bit
single monitor
deleting jpstree.idx, cdd /s \
Still does not work.

I'm out of ideas
Thx

Isn't this because of Everything.ini gets overwritten with an update?

TCMD.ini indicates he is using Everything for extended direcory searches (EDS).
Deleting TCMD.ini creates a fresh version where EDS will default to the own internal database instead of Everything and thus bypasses the original problem