Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Extended directory search has stopped working

This morning, if I try an extended directory search such as "cd documents" the cursor does a newline, return and disappears. Up to today, "cd documents" would take me to my documents folder. There has been a Windows update from Microsoft this morning which may have something to do with it. I have reinstalled Take Command (v. 12.10) but this has not helped. I notice that the environment variable TCPATH is absent. I have also done "tcc /S" to reindex the drives but this has not helped either. I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit). I am upgrading to Take Command v. 14, but if anyone else is having problems after today's (yesterday's?) Windows update they may wish to note this report.

Go to OPTION / Command Line, and check your "Extended Directory Search" options.
Box (search level) 3 is ticked. The "path" box is empty. This is on Version 14 which I have just installed and registered, and reindexed the drives, but it seems to manage only some directories but not others. When it fails, the program loses focus but focus can be restored by clicking at the top of the window when the cursor reappears at the beginning of the line below the prompt.

It sounds like your popup directory box is appearing *behind* the TCMD window. (The focus is on the hidden window.) Try minimizing or moving the TCMD (or TCC) window and see if the popup is there.

This is an unfortunate (and ancient) Windows bug; sometimes it spontaneously gets better and sometimes it doesn't.

It sounds like your popup directory box is appearing *behind* the TCMD window. (The focus is on the hidden window.) Try minimizing or moving the TCMD (or TCC) window and see if the popup is there.

This is an unfortunate (and ancient) Windows bug; sometimes it spontaneously gets better and sometimes it doesn't.
It must be zero size - I see no sign of it. Can the default size be changed?

Are you running TCC within Take Command, or in a standalone console window?

The popup window sizes aren't set in OPTION anymore (and haven't been for several years) -- they maintain the size and position from the last time you opened the window. Did you have a second monitor that now isn't present (or is in a different position relative to the TCMD desktop)?

Open your TCMD.INI, and look for:

CDDWinLeft
CDDWinTop
CDDWinWidth
CDDWinHeight

If you delete those entries, TCMD will revert to the default values.

The popup window sizes aren't set in OPTION anymore (and haven't been for several years) -- they maintain the size and position from the last time you opened the window. Did you have a second monitor that now isn't present (or is in a different position relative to the TCMD desktop)?

Open your TCMD.INI, and look for:

CDDWinLeft
CDDWinTop
CDDWinWidth
CDDWinHeight

If you delete those entries, TCMD will revert to the default values.
I cannot find TCMD.INI. I have a second monitor but nothing has changed in respect to this. I am running TCC within Take Command.
Since installing version 14 I see that version 12 is still present. Would it be best if I uninstall this?

I cannot find TCMD.INI. I have a second monitor but nothing has changed in respect to this. I am running TCC within Take Command.
Since installing version 14 I see that version 12 is still present. Would it be best if I uninstall this?

When you run OPTION, it displays the location of your TCMD.INI in the title bar.

It doesn't make any difference if you have v14 and v12 installed (I have a half-dozen versions installed).

When you run OPTION, it displays the location of your TCMD.INI in the title bar.

It doesn't make any difference if you have v14 and v12 installed (I have a half-dozen versions installed).
Ah yes - I see where TCMD.INI is - I have deleted the lines you mentiion - they showed what looked like
minus quantities - the figures were preceded with "--". I deleted these lines and now the popup window appears.
Something must have interfered with TCMD.INI, I suspect when updating Windows.
Many thanks for your time. There's nowt so queer as Windows.