Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Extended directory search not working

Jul
Extended directory searches don't work in my setup, TC 20.0 / Win10. I have no big hopes for forum members to pin this one down, but I start here.

This has been the situation for years and repeatedly I gave up debugging it, including procmon.exe and stuff. (It has been like this since v18, possibly v16 - don't remember.)

I will happily upgrade but this time I want to fix this first as I upgraded previously with a hope to fix this.

There is "something" about my setup. The dir search database is created at %localappdata%\JPSoft\jpstree.idx. The extended dir search level can be at 2 or 3. Trying CDD (something) gives "path not found".

I have successfully removed all config at one point, just renaming ini and other files, and got it to work. Then I configure TC again and the problem reoccurs.

What I need is help to low-level debug what's going on. TIA.

Have you installed Everything?

From the Help:

If the TCMD.INI directive EverythingSearch is set (OPTION / Startup / Everything Search), TCC will use Everything Search (free at http://www.voidtools.com) instead of its own database for fuzzy directory searches. Everything Search is faster, but will only work on local NTFS drives. Setting EverythingSearch is the equivalent of setting FuzzyCD=3 (*name*). The Take Command installer will install Everything Search automatically.

As Klaus mentioned, there are *two* ways of doing fuzzy directory searching in TCC. If you have the EverythingSearch option set, TCC will use Everything. If it's not set, TCC will use the (old) jpstree.idx index.

If you do *not* have EverythingSearch set, what do your "OPTION / Command Line / Extended Directory Search" options look like?

Sigh, that easy, huh? :smile:
I changed EverythingSearch=Yes to No in ini file and all was suddenly ok. Thanks. Embarrassing.

I had installed voidtools Everything Search during the TakeCommand install (TC 21, Win 10), not beforehand as a standalone; I also needed to run the Everything executable to make Extended Directory Search work.

The TC installation installed the "Everything" service, which monitors file system changes and maintains the Everything Search index. But in addition to setting "Everything Search" in TakeCommand OPTION, Startup (same as TCMD.INI line EverythingSearch=Yes), the Everything.exe must also be run.

The standard way to do that is to run Everything (with everything /o, or everything /e, Tools, Option), and set the option "Start Everything on system startup". But that requires Administrative Rights, which I do not have. Per voidtools forum "Everything" version 1.3.0.629b Discussion, that creates an "Everything" string under registry HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run that is set to: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Everything\Everything.exe" -startup.

Without Administrative Rights, you can just manually run everything /e every time you start TC, or run Everything.exe automatically by putting the command
"C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCMD21\Everything.exe" -startup
within a shortcut in your Startup folder in your Start menu at
%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
(or in the All Users Start menu at
%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp )

Alternatively, you could include it in your tcstart.btm to start it only when TC does.
(Note the command uses the path to the Everything executable, and is not the TCC internal command.)

The Everything executable will appear in the Notification area or Taskbar.

Other threads about Everything Search with TakeCommand

Using "everything" (2015 Jun)

Keys and IDX not working (Sep. 2016)

Everything Tool Not Working After Version 20 Installation (2016 Aug)

How Do I Get Rid of 'Everything' (2017 Sep)

Extended directory search not working (2017 Sep)

Everything installation (2017 Sep)