Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Extended directory searches?

May
CDD /S was mentioned in another thread, so I tried it, and thought I'd see how extended directory searched work. Although the help says
Code:
By default, the file is placed in the root directory of drive C:. Because of security restrictions in Windows, the the default directory is defined as the value of the environment variable LOCALAPPDATA (predefined by Windows). If you don't have LOCALAPPDATA in your environment, the default directory will be the directory where TCC is installed.

[So what exactly is the default?]

The index was created here:
Code:
"C:\ProgramData\JP Software\jpstree.idx"
"C:\Users\All Users\JP Software\jpstree.idx"

No location is specified in the OPTION dialog. I have
Code:
v:\> set loc*
LOCALAPPDATA=C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local

Extended directory searches are not enabled here, but the help says you can force one with wildcards in the directory name. I see no evidence that it works.

TCC looks first for the TreePath directive; if that is set it doesn't look anywhere else. Otherwise, it looks first in the LOCALAPPDATA directory; if the file doesn't exist it then creates it in "PROGRAMDATA\JP Software".

This is a result of Microsoft changing its recommendations / requirements over the years.

TCC looks first for the TreePath directive; if that is set it doesn't look anywhere else. Otherwise, it looks first in the LOCALAPPDATA directory; if the file doesn't exist it then creates it in "PROGRAMDATA\JP Software".

This is a result of Microsoft changing its recommendations / requirements over the years.
And then ...
1. Do you mean it creates it in "PROGRAMDATA\JP Software" but doesn't look for it there?
2. What about wildcards forcing an extended directory search even if extended directory searches are not enabled?

I said "Do you mean it creates it in "PROGRAMDATA\JP Software" but doesn't look for it there? " and you said "Correct". Maybe I'm being thick, but if it creates jpstree.idx in "PROGRAMDATA\JP Software" and doesn't look for it there, how is it ever going to be used?

What do I have to do to see a forced (by wildcards) extended directory search work?

I said "Do you mean it creates it in "PROGRAMDATA\JP Software" but doesn't look for it there? " and you said "Correct". Maybe I'm being thick, but if it creates jpstree.idx in "PROGRAMDATA\JP Software" and doesn't look for it there, how is it ever going to be used?

I was referring to the search pattern when it was creating the index (CDD /S, when you're not using EVERYTHING).

What do I have to do to see a forced (by wildcards) extended directory search work?

Use wildcards in a directory name, have a search index (either EVERYTHING or JPSTREE), and have more than one wildcard match.

Then maybe I'm reading something wrong. The help says
Code:
Search Level :  Configure extended directory searches. 0 disables extended searches.
and
Code:
 If you use a wildcard, an extended search will occur whether or not extended searches have been enabled.

The second statement above does not seem to be true. Here, extended searches do not happen, even with wildcards, when Search Level is 0.