Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Extended wildcards

Jun
SVN and ANT use a extended wildcard syntax.

I can say something like:

dir **/foot/*.html

To find al the *.html files in /foot directories wherever they appear in the tree.

It would be nice to do that as tersely in TCC.

You can: "TCC (but not TCC/LE) also supports wildcards in the directory names (but not in the drive name). You can control the subdirectory recursion by specifying * or ** in the path. A * will match a single subdirectory level; a ** will match any all subdirectory levels for that pathname. Directory wildcards also support regular expressions."

You can: "TCC (but not TCC/LE) also supports wildcards in the directory names (but not in the drive name). You can control the subdirectory recursion by specifying * or ** in the path. A * will match a single subdirectory level; a ** will match any all subdirectory levels for that pathname. Directory wildcards also support regular expressions."
Cmd.exe can use wildcards for the cd statement and tccle cannot. This is the reason I continue to use cmd.exe and not tccle. Cmd.exe is free and so is tccle, but tccle cannot use wildcards and cmd exe can. Score one for Microsoft and zero for jpsoft.

Cmd.exe can use wildcards for the cd statement and tccle cannot. This is the reason I continue to use cmd.exe and not tccle. Cmd.exe is free and so is tccle, but tccle cannot use wildcards and cmd exe can. Score one for Microsoft and zero for jpsoft.

Easy enough to implement -- remember that you can alias internal commands -- but why on earth would you want that? CD seems like a bad place for indeterminate behavior!

IMO the CMD implementation is catastrophically stupid. (And it also won't work at all if you also have a file that matches the wildcard spec.) Since Microsoft does not document wildcards in CMD's CD, I'm inclined to write it off as a bug and not a feature.

However, TCC/LE has *always* supported wildcards in CD, just not the blind "maybe I'll change to a random matching directory and maybe I won't" behavior of CMD. Try:

CD r*<F7>

Typing CD, some leading directory name character, and then press the F7 key for a popup window or the tab or F9 key for sequential matches on the command line.

Note that the filename completion will include non-directories as well unless you define a custom completion for CD (see "Customizing Filename Completion" in the help).

However, TCC/LE has *always* supported wildcards in CD, just not the blind "maybe I'll change to a random matching directory and maybe I won't" behavior of CMD. Try:

CD r*<F7>

It also works just as well without the asterisk. Or the CD, for that matter.

Back