Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT"

Jan
We have a scheduled task (Windows Server 2012 R2) that calls a tcc.exe window and passes it a .bat file. This task has been running successfully for a while now as a domain admin account. When we changed the task to run as a non-domain admin (still a local admin) account, the task no longer runs. When we call tcc.exe and pass it the .bat file from command prompt we are presented with the following error message: "Failed to update the system registry. Please try using REGEDIT". I'm sure this is a permissions issue, and I have checked the following Reg permissions with no success:
  1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Oracle
  2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes
  3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\.DIS
  4. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Dis.Document
  5. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\Discoverer.Application
  6. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\DIS
  7. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID
  8. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID{470A152C-5FC1-11D1-A434-0000F8AE4944}
  9. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\CLSID{AD7CE4E0-C391-11CE-9C10-08002BE52B53
Please help!

TCC 14.03.59 x64

Two things to check:

1. that the task has "run with highest privileges" checked.

2. that the domain admin had not restricted the local admin my means of a group policy object.

Thanks for the replies! The issue was simple - I was still logged in as domain admin when I changed the task to run as the new user, and "Run only when user is logged in" was checked. I also had to check "Run with highest privileges".

TL;DR - Make sure you're logged in as the user you need the task to run as.