1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Documentation File Times?

Discussion in 'Support' started by fpefpe, Aug 7, 2016.

1. fpefpe

Hello - I generally use robocopy to mirror and clone directories --

I wanted to do a quick copy so I issued the command

copy /s /n /c <source> <target>

and to my surprise more files would have been copied then I would be copied -- I then did
    the same copy in preview mode with robocopy and just the one file that I thought would be copied

upon further inspection, I found that the file in question had the exact size, date, and time to the second, but
    target file had "000" fraction of a second when the source file value was non-zero

so, in practice are files considered the same if they just differ at the sub-second level?

thanks

fpe

2. rconn

rconn Administrator
    Staff Member

File time comparisons are done to the resolution of the least-accurate file system -- i.e., if you were copying from NTFS to FAT32, it would use a 2-second resolution.

3. fpefpe

Hello -- Thanks for the reply --

When I did my robocopy test, I added the /fft option which takes into account the 2 second issue -- but it seems in this case where
    both filesystems are NTFS it did not include the sub-seconds of the filetime --

so since tcc looks at the filesystems does the /cf (or /uf) switch force the issue?